Chapter 8 - That Wasn't Supposed to Hurt

TW: Unaliving Oneself

8

The van was now parked a small distance away from the old abandoned school underneath the shade of a tree as Sam sat in the passenger's seat and ripped off a piece of duct tape, tearing it with his teeth while fumbling around with a can of silly string and a butane lighter when I furrowed my brows, glancing back at the fire extinguisher in the backseat, "The fire extinguisher, I get. But what the hell are you gonna do with a can of silly string and a butane lighter, young Macgyver? You gonna birthday party it to death?"

Sam stopped, glancing back and giving me a look, shaking his head before he started to make a sort of contraption in his hands with the items, "You asked how we're supposed to see something that's invisible? We have to mark it somehow, while still keeping it at a distance. And silly string..."

He looked back at me with a proud smile as he finished his homemade flamethrower, "Is highly flammable."

I raised my eyebrows as a wide smile spread across my face, shaking my head with a laugh, "Oh-ho, you should have never told me that. That gives me all sorts of ideas."

Sam shook his head and rolled his eyes slightly as he brushed me off, gesturing behind his seat, "Yeah, well, the idea is that we have to work together? And, whoever holds the fire extinguisher can't hold a dagger dipped in lambs blood at the same time, it takes two hands to work it. So we're gonna have to watch each other's backs if we have a chance at killing this thing."

I nodded with a slight smirk, "You got it, Captain Kirk. But if I'm gonna have a chance at getting out of here alive, then that means I've got to the one who holds the knife- and by default- your homemade silly flamethrower."

Sam furrowed his brows as he shot me a look, "Why do you get to be the one to hold it?"

I raised my eyebrows as I gave him a look and shrugged, "Cause I don't really think it's a good idea for you to be wielding a flamethrower when you've probably got more hair products in your hair than I do? Doctor Mc-California Dream Tarzan."

Sam furrowed his brows in confusion, his face getting a little red as he shook his head and looked away, "What the hell does that even mean? I can't tell if you're flirting with me or just being a smartass?"

I shrugged with a smirk, holding out my hand and waving for the can of silly string, "What's the difference?"

Sam furrowed his brows slightly as he cracked a smirk, begrudgingly handing it over and shaking his head as he gave me a playful look, "That explains a lot, actually?"

I smirked as I let out a laugh to myself, looking down at the contraption and shrugging, "I think I'm actually gonna miss how much of a sassy- not so dainty- little princess you are in this fake universe, Sammy?"

Sam tilted his head as he gave me a bitchface grin, "It's Sam. Big talk, coming from Stacy's middle-aged soccer mom?"

I narrowed my eyes and shook my head as I gave him a playful smirk, "Stacy wishes I was her mom. I may not be a mind reader anymore, but I can tell all of this is definitely working for you."

I reached for the door and opened it up, giving him a quick wink before leaving the car when he stayed behind, letting out a long sigh before undoing his seatbelt and shaking his head, "What the hell is it with this chick..."