Chapter 9. Getting Viserys' Blessing

'Nervous?' Diane asked, brushing Rhaenyra's hair.

'That's an understatement,' the princess let out a nervous laugh. 'There is no predicting how he might react.'

'Well, I don't believe he has something to be angry about. You come to him and you inform him of your decision. He said you could choose who you want to marry, didn't he?'

'Yes. But I'm pretty sure he didn't have his brother in mind.'

'But aren't most of our family married into our family? Or into the Velaryon family?' Diane frowned. 'I had a scroll with our family tree growing up. Father recreated it from his memory. I think he fucked up a few names in the process but that's beside the point,' she said, making Rhaenyra snort. 'What I mean is that between these two families, Daemon is the closest man to you in age who is not exclusively into other men. The King should have seen it coming.'

'I guess,' Rhaenyra shrugged.

Suddenly there were voices from the other side of the door. It took the princess a few seconds to realize that Daemon had come to escort her to the meeting with the King and Ser Criston was refusing to let him in. Rhaenyra took an immediate dislike to Cole as soon as she found out what he did in another timeline, but they hadn't figured out how to remove him without raising suspicion just yet. Diane said that she was just waiting for the perfect opportunity to take him out, and it brought Rhaenyra great comfort for some reason.

'You put on earrings, I'll sort them out,' Diane said, leaving Rhaenyra to finish getting ready.

Diane opened the door, and Rhaenyra could hear the end of Cole's answer, '...inappropriate to visit the princess in her rooms.'

'Don't be such a prude, Ser Criston. I'll make sure everyone will stay clothed,' Diane gave Cole one of her smiles that made others fear for their life if they were smart enough. Cole wasn't. 'Come on in, father,' Diane added, stepping to the side so Daemon would have a room to come in.

'If the princess wants to speak with him, she will come out. It's not appropriate for them to be alone and unchaperoned,' Ser Criston insisted.

'You know, I'm still here, right?' Diane asked. 'If it makes you feel better, I will chaperone them.'

'You can't be their chaperone!' Cole exclaimed, obviously getting irritated.

'Why the fuck not? What do you think we will do? Have a threesome? He is my father, for Gods' sake!' Diane exclaimed, dragged Daemon into the room by the elbow, and closed the door in Cole' dumbfounded face with a bang.

Daemon made a sound as if he was trying very hard not to laugh but it escaped his throat nonetheless. 'See what I have to deal with every day,' Diane complained, gesturing at the door.

Daemon patted her on the shoulder. 'You are doing a good job,' he said, only half-joking because if he had to deal with Ser Criston as often as Diane did, the poor man would have been long dead. Frankly speaking, he was impressed with his daughter's patience. 'You look gorgeous, my little dragon,' Daemon continued, approaching Rhaenyra who rose to her feet to meet him.

'Thank you, Uncle. Does my look say "I made up my mind about my future husband and there is no talking me out of it"?' she smiled when Daemon pushed the strand of her hair behind her ear.

'Let's hope it does,' he smiled, and Rhaenyra leaned forward, putting her head on his chest. 'Everything will be alright, my love. One way or another,' Daemon assured her. He was nervous himself but hid it well. He had no problems with confronting Viserys in the past, but right now it felt different because it wasn't only his fate this conversation would decide. Because he knew he would leave everything for Rhaenyra, and he knew Rhaenyra would do the same, but he didn't want her to sacrifice anything. She was born to be Queen, and she shouldn't be robbed of her birthright because of her choice of a husband.