Chapter 4. Taking Back The King's Trust

'Velaryons are boarding the ships. You asked to let you know,' Diane said, walking into her father's tent. It was almost a week since she came back from the Vale, but only now Corlys and Daemon decided it was safe to leave the Stepstones with just a few dozen soldiers to guard. Diane took full advantage of the delay, taking some time to rest and also creating an action plan with her father on how to get Rhaenyra the throne. She also managed to get herself a new set of clothes, specifically appropriate for dragon riding. Her usual clothes weren't uncomfortable, but she got cold during the long flights and decided why not take advantage of the situation if the leatherworker was right with them in the camp?

'Yes, I'm coming,' Daemon nodded, putting on his crown. 'It looks hideous, doesn't it?'

'Eh, maybe a little?' Diane shrugged. 'I think all the crowns look hideous. Except for Rhaenyra's, that one looked cool.'

'Which one did she wear?'

'Umm... the one with Targaryen sigil in the center? I don't know how to describe it.'

Daemon frowned as if trying to imagine the crown in question, 'You mean the one my brother wears.'

'I've never actually met your brother, you know that, right? Like I saw him a few times, in passing, but not up close.'

'Right,' Daemon trailed off. 'Well, we will change that!' he said cheerfully before clapping on Diane's shoulder and walking right past her.

Diane snorted, 'Can't wait.'

They saw Velaryons off before going to their dragons to depart for King's Landing. Daemon noticed that Diane had a very friendly chat with Laenor, and then he waved to her from the ship and she waved back. Daemon was aware of Diane's preferences towards women and he also knew that Laenor was as gay as a rainbow, so he wanted to know what that was all about.

'I'm making friends, father. It's something you should do as well, actually,' she smirked.

'I'm not that good at maintaining friendships. And I'm pretty sure it's not the main reason for your interactions, so don't change the subject.'

'Well, he is the heir to Driftmark. And allyships are not only made through marriages, so I figured being on good terms with him wouldn't hurt,' Diane shrugged. 'Plus if we terribly fuck up and Rhaenyra will have to marry him again, at least he will be on our side.'

'You are optimistic,' Daemon commented, making Diane laugh.

'Well, someone has to make a backup plan, right?'

***

Rhaenyra was standing on the balcony of her room when she saw dragons approaching King's Landing. It took a second, but she managed to recognize one of them.

Caraxes.

Her uncle was coming back!

And what for the second dragon... Its silver scales were shining brightly in the sun, so Rhaenyra figured it was Silverwing with a mysterious dragon rider whose identity Otto tried to find out but failed. Rhaenyra couldn't help but be excited. She didn't know why precisely, but she had a feeling that things were finally taking a turn for the better. She knew not to get her hopes up, but something inside of her was buzzing with nervous eagerness.

Everything was about to change.

***

'I arranged prior for a bath and a dress for you,' Daemon announced as soon as Diane jumped off Silverwing.

The woman blinked at him, 'What?'

'I'm going to go and try to get back into my brother's good graces while you make yourself look presentable. You know, good first impressions and all,' Daemon made some weird wavy gesture with his hand. 'If everything goes well, I'll send a servant to fetch you. If not- well, you'll hear the fight, and you'll know it's your cue to run.'