Chapter 14: Asche's Record

"Why do you not have records in the Underworld?"

Asked Hades, the king of the Underworld.

Asche blinked twice. She was confused for a moment, but she quickly realized what the god meant. Probably her record in the living and her record on the dead.

'How would I know that?'

"What do you mean...? Did you lose it---"

Hades raised his brows.

"Do you think we will lose something important?" Asked Thanatos who was staring at her with a blank expression on his face. "That will never happen, not in a million years."

Asche stared at Hades and Thanatos.

"I mean... Underworld is such a busy place, with a lot of overworked employees-- ahem, I mean overworked individuals. It must've been too tiring to handle those souls, it won't be illogical if you guys lost it..."

Both gods stared at Asche with a piercing gaze. How could this Nymph assume that they will lose something important because they are overworked?

They have been working in the underworld since the gods defeated the Titans!

They worked...

Whole day...

With no breaks...

And yes they are overworked...

Thanatos suddenly glanced at his lord upon realizing something. Meanwhile, Hades suddenly fell into deep thoughts.

'Did we lose it?'

That is what they were both thinking.

Hades cleared his throat and snapped his fingers. Three cups of tea from the mortal realm suddenly appeared in front of them, he quickly took his cup and gobbled to calm his nerves.

"Losing such important records will never happen under my rule, never, that's why you should not evade my question, Nymph."

'He sounds in denial'

Asche sighed and scratched her hair.

"I don't really know... How would I know when I don't work in the underworld?" She mumbled. "And what type of record were you talking about...?"

"The living and the dead," Thanatos answered. "You don't have any records of your birth, and now... your death. When I took your soul, your death record should have appeared in the Book of the Dead, but it didn't."

Asche sighs.

So, she is really dead huh?

She's hoping that Hephaestus will just do fine in the world of the living. Thinking about Hera and Artemis, they will surely be sad and furious about her death, but they will immediately move on.

They should bury her body in a warm and sunny place.

Well, it's not like they will come here to take her back, right?

"But how come? I was born out of Demeter's breath, Artemis was there when it happened," Asche mumbled. "The other nymphs were also there as my witness. We can also go to goddess Demeter to prove it..."

"Demeter...?"

Asche raised her head when she noticed the frown on Hades' head upon mentioning the name of his mother-in-law and his sister.

Right, in Greek mythology, Hades who kidnapped Persephone faced the disapproval of Persephone's mother when she finally fell in love with him, and up until now, Goddess Demeter is still showing her disapproval of their marriage.