i think i know you | 11

-

            Branch insisted that they go to dinner while he stayed at the hospital, and after much arguing, Poppy finally gave in.
"I'll come pick you up tomorrow, okay?" Loppy frowned as he was lifted into a stretcher. "I love you!" she yelled while they wheeled him in.

"We love you, B!" Clay shouted while placing a gentle arm around Poppy and Viva on the other. "He'll be okay. You know, when he was a baby he'd get hurt all the time." Clay laughed, leading the two sisters back to the party. "This is nothing."

Viva sighed, leaning into Clay lovingly. "I can't even process any of this. We're just going back to my dad and acting like nothing happened?" Viva touched his hand for support.

Clay stumbled nervously. "I- uh... let's just get some drinks then." he led them to the bar. Clay let them sit in the two available stools while he stood. "Can we just get three non-alcoholic shirley's?" he spoke to the bartender who nodded.
"What a night, huh?" he laughed awkwardly, trying to fill the silence.

"Clay, you were chatting it up with creek earlier weren't you? What was he like?" Viva faced him.

"He was really chill." Clay shrugged. "He talked about wanting to get away from the city and moving into the countryside."
The bartender passed the three their drinks. "He said he was a really successful medium, like with spiritual stuff. I guess it's because in the city everyone eats that crap up."

Poppy made a face, stirring the cherries in her drink. "So, he hasn't changed much." she finally sipped. "He was a hippie, when I knew him." she smiled.

Viva grinned, staring at her drink. "That sounds about right." she leaned on her arms.

-

The dinner was extravagant, of course. It wouldn't be a royal dinner without exorbitant amounts of whispers of gossip, videos circulating and paparazzi at every corner. Security had to brawl crazy photographers to get away from the girls and their pop star.

The car ride home felt even longer than the drive to the venue. Clay took Branch's car and drove the two home.
"Here we are." Clay pulled up to Poppy's humble abode. He shut off the car and walked her to her door, his arm draped over her shoulders.

"Thanks for driving me home, Clay." Poppy grinned tiredly, fishing her keys out of her clutch.

"No problem, Pop." he nodded and kissed her head gently. "I'll pick you up tomorrow morning. I love you girl." he smiled as he descended down the stairs and into the car. Just like that, he was gone into the night.

"Love you!" Poppy yawned, shimmying the door open and flicking on the lights to her living room. She kicked her heels off and sighed deeply.
Poppy stepped inside her bedroom and felt her blood running cold the moment her foot hit the tile.

"I can't believe you still have this photo of me. It's awful." uttered the man lying on her bed, his legs spread comfortably like he lived there.
He held the photo frame around his fingers, admiring it slowly.

"No! no! no! get out of here Creek! I—I'm serious!" she whisper shouted.

He sighed, rolling his eyes and dropping the frame to her bed.

"Love, we never really finished our chat. I mean, between you and me, the way you ended it was a bit rude." he frowned jokingly, motioning to his jewels.

She took in his appearance. Branch only got one hit on him, just on his nose. It turned red with swelling and small flecks of dried blood drew down his tan chin. He ditched the suit jacket and was left in a purple dress shirt with a tie and black dress pants.

"What else is there to talk about? Oh! maybe the fact that you broke into my house?!" she said through her teeth.

He rolled his eyes once more, pulling himself to his feet and she faltered back instinctively.
"I won't hurt you, love." Creek spoke softly. "Never the way I hurt him." his eyes softened.

She swallowed hard, inching further away from him, backing into the hall beside his alter. Her eyes darted in fear across the room. A weapon. A knife. A heavy vase. Anything.
He pouted his lip.
"Are you afraid?" he spoke again like an angel.

Her heart pounded so loud they could feel it shaking under their feet. "Creek..." Poppy squeaked, her whole body in a harsh quiver. "I saw what you did to Branch."

"I had to. You don't understand!" his steps became bigger. The dim lamp from the living room and the pale moonlight were the only sources of light, illuminating their faces almost poetically. The sharp details on his face were chiseled by the moon, her eyes glistened in fear.

She ripped a pink switchblade out of her magical mane, fingers slipping and shaking like an earthquake. Poppy flipped it open and held it out dauntingly, tickling his chest.

It was almost as if there was a glint of guilt in his eyes. Real, genuine non manipulative guilt in those beautiful eyes of his. He loomed over her with a deep look in his pupils. She couldn't place what it was. No matter the moment, she always found forgiveness in his face.

"I'm sorry. for it all. I'm sorry I frighten you. I'm sorry I hurt you, I lied. I left. I never called. I'm sorry." Creek dropped to his knees, he now fell just above her stomach.
"Please, Poppy..." he whispered. "I don't want to live without you. I can't! I love you!" he pleaded desperately, taking her cold hands in his.

The blade fell to the ground.

A deeper trench grew her stomach. She hadn't heard those words in his voice for months. It felt unnatural. It wasn't real.

She shook her head. "It's too late." Poppy's expression fell. "You don't love me the way he does." she grazed her fingers against his.
Almost instantly his gaze darkened.

"i do! I love you more than life itself! I'm nothing without you, love!" he squeezed his grasp over hers.

Her expression twisted, staring at the man on his knees before her. "If you really did, you wouldn't have left me to die." she pushed down the tears begging at her eyes into a stoic expression.
"I can't hate you." she uttered softly. "But I can't love you the same anymore."

He simply stared at her with his puppy eyes. pleading for her forgiveness, her love. He stood in front of her, deeply watching her face.
He pulled her into a strong hug, his grip tightening by the second. She sighed and reciprocated, her arms crossed above his shoulders. She heard his sobs just next to her face. His warm tears dribbled down her skin.

"I love you, Poppy!" he cried into the nape of her neck. tears welled in her eyes.

"I-I..." she whimpered, twisting his soft teal hair in her delicate touch. "I know you do, Creek." she exhaled shakily. "Which is why I have to do this."

She reached for the glass vase of poppies and brought it up above the two, smashing it into his head. the lukewarm water and glass spilled all over them. She immediately began to dart towards the door as he was distracted.

Creek howled in pain and gripped her wrist violently. She shrieked as he pulled her to his body, slamming the nape of his elbow over her mouth. She screamed and cried, but to no avail. He breathed hard into the top of her head.

She smelled of flowers and wet hair. He apprehended the rest of her body with his strong arm, dragging the two of them into her bedroom, slamming the door.

-