Chapter 21:

I wake up, momentarily disorientated by the pitch black surrounding me. Panicking, I remember what happened yesterday, and create a flame in my hand, so I can search for Una. She is sleeping, next to the horse that I decided to name Dale. Getting to my feet, I take out some cold meat from a pouch on my belt, and hungrily stuff it into my mouth, then I gently lift Una onto Dale. Dale snorts as he adjusts his weight. Angrily, I whisper to him,
"Shush, do you want the Vikings to find us?" Then I jump onto his back, and we head back roughly South, in the direction of The Ravine. Nerves run tightly through my body, I know that we have to cross to the South to be just minimally safe. After five minutes, we emerge from the dense foliage, and I halt Dale, jump off, and head to the edge of The Ravine. Whispering, I call to the torches lining The Ravine. The closest ones to me flicker to a faint light, the ones opposite to us flicker into light- but a far brighter light. This is because the Celtic magic in the North is swiftly fading away with the terrorism and industry of the Vikings. I know it would return if we we as a people were to come back to the North, but tears come to my eyes as I see proof of our culture fading away before me. Shaking myself out of my reverie, I call out to the trees to create a bridge. Then I slap Dale's haunches, sending him safely over The Ravine to the South, with Una safely on his back. I follow after, whispering to the torches to go out again as soon as I am over, and once the roots retract, I plunge into the unknown South.