Impossible

||Christine Daae||

"Christine, I love you." I heard him sing. I felt the sob rise in my chest before the tears even fell.

The words were new to hear when they came from him. They were special, deep and pure. It hurt to leave, but I had to. It was what was right...wasn't it?

Say you'll share with me one love, one lifetime.

Say the word and I will follow you.

Share each day with me- each night, each morning...

I didn't sing to anyone in particular. I heard Raoul join in, because it was our duet. It felt strange to leave with Raoul, though.

Maybe in these last sixty minutes, I learned something. Maybe I became accustomed to the thought of living with the Phantom.

Maybe I loved him.

But who would know? Who would ever know what love is and how to define it? Maybe why I feel for Raoul is love. Maybe I don't know what I wanted and I did what any young girl would do.

I ran.

But I couldn't love him. He was a murderer, a liar, a cheat! How could I love such a cruel person? Was it even possible? No, it couldn't be.

Then what was that feeling in the pit of your stomach when you kissed him? It wasn't fear, or detestation, or even anger. It was something that just didn't happen when I kissed Raoul.

But what does it matter , anyway Christine? You left! You're gone! Raoul will keep you safe! Raoul's grip is very tight...I think he's hurting me....

"Raoul, could you loosen your grip?"

"What? To let you run back? No! Christine we're leaving. Now!" His grip on my wrist tightened as we reached the top.

"You're not to answer any questions, or speak at all. Understand?" Raoul said, any love from his voice gone. Too afraid to speak, I nodded.

Together, we pushed through mobs of screaming people, some crabbing their necks to get a good look at the fire, others were running as fast as they could away from the Opera House.

I started to cry, though it made no sense to me. Why was I crying over a silly building?

Maybe I wasn't crying over the construction or the fire. Maybe I was crying for him. Maybe all of the pity that the Opera Ghost never received in his lifetime was bubbling up inside me.

Maybe the love he had for me had changed me.

Maybe I loved him back.

No. I thought. That's impossible.

But is it? It was impossible for a concert hall to be haunted by a ghost, yet it was. It was impossible for me to have an Angel of Music, yet I did. It was impossible for Raoul to hurt me, yet he is.

So, who's to say what's impossible?

I could be in love with him.

NO! My mind thought, very clearly. No more nonsense. In love; with a phantom?

"Impossible," I whispered under my breath as I fell asleep in the carriage Raoul had drawn for us during the debate in my head.

Impossible.

HEY GUYS OH MY GOSH HOW FUN IS THIS?! I COULDNT BE HAPPIER!!! I'm so excited for this, you don't even know. Love you gluesticks and I appreciate all your kind comments and witty commentary! It makes my day. Love you all and comment!!!
-PresleyElmer