Loyal to be Royal

"Hey guys, I'm back.", Alex tiredly spoke as she finally entered Garrus his bar, the Graveyard Shift from the side-door. Krom, Ivy, Nik and Garrus were seated on stools and enjoying their drinks.

"Hey, Alex!! You look tired. Everything alright?", Nik asked her with a concerned look on his face as she plopped on an empty stool next to him and rested her head on the wooden table.

"Tired.", she wispered while trying to keep her eyes open.

"Tired? Awww, poor thing. Did you faes partied hard at the palace or what?", Ivy giggled and gently rubbed her friend's back.

To answer her question, Alex sat upright and faced her friends with a sad expression. "Ivy, that's not it. I'm so tired of all those many rules. I'll never be a perfect royal. All I do is make mistakes. I... I just want to make Thalissa and everyone proud, but I can't. I wish just father was alive. He would have definitly helped me."

"Rook, you're still learning. I know you will be doing well. I just want to say... We... We haven't seen you for days and... well...".

"What we all want to say is that we missed you, Alex."

"I know, Krom. I missed you all too. Sorry, but beeing royalty isn't exactly a piece of cake. I thought it's not going to be difficult and I'll enjoy this wealthy life, but I guess I didn't know what was coming for me. It's so stressful, especially when Lamrian has currently no ruler sitting on it's throne. So it's up to me to handle everything."

"Do you even want this royal life, rook? Can you handle this or...?"

"Oh baby, I could build a castle out of all the bricks they threw at me.", she confidently answered him and winked.

"Oh really?", he raised an eyebrow.

"Nik, I somehow have to. For my father, Lord Elric. I'm alive only because of him and Lamrian is my home. I don't want to disappoint him. I have a duty to fulfill... just like you have, Nik.", she glanced meaningful at him and got serious now.

Yes, what has to be done, must be done. Just like the young nighthunter, Nik Ryder swored after the death of his adopted father to protect everyone from evil and keep the worlds safe.

"Yeah, guess so... I just thought about your well-beeing.", Nik disappointedly looked away, trying to avoid her gaze.

"I know, but I have to prove myself. Some fae nobles are just... Arrrghh!!! Rules, rules and more rules.", she wanted to scream and let her frustrations just out.

"I sadly know what you mean, darling. I've been there too.", Garrus gently smiled at her and layed a comforting hand on her shoulder.

"Honestly, I feel hopeless actually. They haven't even considered me as Elric's child yet, as the heir of Lamrian, a member of the royal fae court... I'm no fae for them, just an outsider who's responsible for my father's dea..."

"Don't you dare to say that!!", Garrus suddenly bursted out his anger which surprised everyone since it's not his nature.

"Uhhh, Garrus? You okay?"

"I... I... I'm sorry. My apologies for the sudden tone and behavior. But... My fellow fae friend, don't you ever dare to blame yourself for anything. You're innocent and not responsibile for anything. Neither for the death of my duke nor the banishment of young Lord Tialo. Some fae nobles are just like that and they won't change their behavior, so do not allow them treat you like this. They think they're just better than others. Trust me, I've been there too once and I feel you. Of not beeing accepted and..."

Garrus was the heir of a Fae viscount before the Fae cast him out. The friendly fae remained exiled until this day. He was banished for running cons and swindling magic off the upper crust. The Fae court was too uptight for him and he needed his freedom. But until today, still dreaming of returning to the Fae kingdom. His true home.