Six

TW: mentions of anxiety/depression/sadness

Slater Williams

I hated liars. I hated people who sugar-coated things even more. Most of all– I hated people who couldn't get to the fucking point and would rather bust my balls.

I had busted my ass at practice every day for eight hours hoping and praying that I would get the result that I wanted. It also meant that everyone had the next two days off due to the weekend.

I should be relieved to have the weekend off but at this moment, nothing could make me feel okay. My stomach turned in knots as I waited outside of Reese's office. He was in there with Baker at the moment, telling him what he could've done better– I heard him ripping into him. Although he was my uncle by name, and cousin by marriage, it never got easier when it came to him coaching.

I wanted him to be proud of me.

Baker was inside of there getting ripped on but I knew he would be okay. He had a party to go home to. So did I– but I couldn't party. I couldn't have fun. There was no room for errors for a fuck up like me.

The door opened and Baker popped his head out. "He wants to talk to us at the same time, I'm going to get Drew from the locker room." I nodded and walked into the office. He wasn't staring at me, he was looking down at the opened folder on his desk.

I had been in his office many times, even when it wasn't his office. There was artwork taped to the front of his desk– it was a handmade card. "To: Coach Reese From: Coach Buddy". As much as there was a growing lump in my throat, seeing that gave me the fire I needed.

I needed this. I deserved this. This is my spot. This is my team.

There was a carefully colored in between the lines Nittany Lion underneath the letters. I felt a smile growing on my face the longer I stared at it. It was his handwriting, I know because I have it tattooed on my arm.

Footsteps interrupted my admiration. "I was just getting out of the shower, what's up?" Drew entered and sat down next to me, Baker pulling up a chair. Reese's eyes finally looked up to meet mine before drifting to his sons. I was fucked.