Five

Aurora Augustine

Aurora Augustine

As much as I wish I could say the library was the thing that grew on me the most– Leighton was growing a close second. I had only ran into him twice but he had managed to put a smile on my face and to make me feel something other than immense guilt.

A party.

I was invited to a party.

I rarely ever got invited to parties. Hell, this was the second party I had ever been invited to. The first one being that boy from the ball field. The difference this time is the fact that I was actually able to go.

And knowing that Leighton was there when I was hit with the football has made this feel like an even more of a full-circle moment. I was going to a party. I was going to a college party with beer, boys, games, and more.

Not many times in my life did I disobey and not feel sick to the stomach but this time, the rebellion was crawling up my throat in the most sickening way.

I stared at myself in the mirror as I traced my cupid's bow with the wine colored lipstick. As I capped it, I took a step back and observed myself. I had changed a million times and I contemplated going and asking the resident advisor if I looked okay but I refrained considering the fact that I could get into trouble for going out tonight.

But this was what I was meant to be doing. I was meant to be going to a college of my choice and going wild. I deserved this. I didn't deserve to be tied down by a strict father regardless if he only wanted the best for me. I wanted the best for me too.

And unfortunately, the hardest thing for me to realize is that what is best for him is not the best for me. I need to do what is best for me despite his feelings.

The cheap flip phone that sat on my bedside table rang as I tossed the lipstick on my bed. I reached over, grabbed the phone and read the message that popped up on the small screen.

"Party started forty minutes ago– you coming sunshine?" The text from Leighton read. I chuckled before typing back that I would be there as soon as possible. As soon as the text was sent, I was faced with the empty background photo. I longed for the iphone that I once had. I would give anything to flip through the millions of pictures I had around my house reminding me of life at home.