Four

Aurora Augustine

Aurora Augustine

It was pouring down like a scene from a romance movie. However, there was no movie and no romance. It was just a college campus that I romanticized more than I realized. In fact, I found myself romanticizing everything now that I had never lived a stingy lifestyle.

I couldn't use my credit cards. Too risky– Dad checks my spending, he has the AMEX app on his phone. So that meant everything that I was paying for was coming from me. I grew up on a silver spoon locked in a golden cage– but now, I am learning how to live without the golden cage. I was learning how to thrive and survive. The first step to thrive and survive? Get a job. Luckily, I was able to secure that job at McCutchens, despite the bump in the road, or bump in the door afterwards.

But man, did I miss the days of me waking up and ordering a coffee to be delivered to the house every day.

The university bus that I was on smelled like urine. However, here I was dreaming of espresso beans. Thank God the bus wasn't packed this early in the morning. I was heading to the library. I needed to check out the iPod again, but also, I also needed to see if there was anything else I could listen to while I went on my walks or drew.

I had a radio and a computer where I could listen to stuff, but I heard the libraries at Penn State were amazing. Maybe not as good as the Ohio State library– the many books that took up multiple floors.

My foot tapped against the bus floor, my leg shaking while my boyfriend jeans moved with every shake. My umbrella sat wrapped up beside my leg, the water thankfully ran off of it quickly as I stepped onto the bus.

It was still early in the morning, just a little bit past nine. My phone buzzed, and a text message came in from my dad. He was asking me how classes were going. I shot him back a quick thumbs up then he told me to have a good day. I loved the message and proceeded to stand up as the speaker over the bus announced my stop would be coming up soon.

The rain was still coming down as I ran off of the bus and toward the library entrance, holding my bookbag over my head as I yanked at the door. It opened quickly, and I stepped into the vestibule. I wiped my shoes on the welcome mat. A hiss caught my breath as I felt a burning pain on my left heel.