Chapter 16

I grow nervous as James steps closer and closer to me.

"Well, um, my mom is supposed to be back any minute so we're not really alone for long." I say quickly.

"Oh, yeah whatever. So what do you want to do?" He asks, his mood suddenly changing.

"Um, we could watch a movie I guess." I reply, fidgeting with the ring on my finger.

"Sure, whatever." He mutters. We head to the living room and I pop a movie in. James has already made himself comfortable on the couch. I sit back next to him but also try to keep my distance.

James isn't really paying much attention to the movie, as he's on his phone the whole time. I'm half focused on the movie and half consumed by my own thoughts.

What did James have in mind? I mean, I think he likes me, I'm not one hundred percent sure. But he wasn't planning on doing it, right? I never even had a boyfriend before.

"Hey, Riley?" James speaks up, standing up from the couch.

"Hm?" I mumble, taking my eyes from the TV.

"I got to get going." He tells me.

"But you haven't even been here for a half an hour." I point out.

"Yeah I know. Sorry." He responds, heading toward the porch. I sigh and follow him.

"Maybe we could hang out another time?" I ask.

"Yeah, maybe." He responds. He goes out the door, quickly shutting it behind him, leaving me all alone again.

~~~~~

My mom comes home around midnight. I'm lying on the couch, struggling to keep my eyes open when she stumbles in.

"Hi honey." She mumbles, leaning against the door frame. She defiantly isn't drunk, but she's far from sober.

"Hi mom." I sigh, standing up from the couch.

"Where's Emily?" She asks.

"At Steph's I think." I yawn.

"You were here by yourself?" She inquires.

"Um, yeah." I lie.

"I don't like it when you're all by yourself honey." She says, setting a hand on my shoulder.

"I know mom. But let's get you to bed." I sigh, helping her up the stairs.