27. Summoner's Court

Anne narrates the Summoner's Court between Enoch and Sephronia for Ominis while Sebastian and I share our bottle of mead. His arm leans behind me to keep himself propped up as my head rests on his shoulder.

I can feel Anne stealing glances at our intimate exchanges with a small, satisfied smile, and I relish in Sebastian's open affection. Ominis finally starts to loosen up when the pair make their way through half of their bottle of mead, aiding in returning Ominis to his typical banter with Sebastian.

At near lunch time, Sebastian volunteers to grab the four of us some lunch from the Great Hall. Anne, half-drunk, leans her head against my shoulder with a loose smile on her lips. "I have never seen my brother look at anyone the way he looks at you." Ominis's attention turns towards us with amusement on his face. "Nor have I seen him so..." She trails off to find the right word. "Oh, Ominis, assist me." Her head lazes in his direction.

"Happy, Anne. We've never seen him so happy."

Anne rolls her eyes. "Do you think I'm that dense that I wouldn't be able to think of the word happy on my own?"

"Dense, no. Drunk, possibly."

Anne turns back to me. "While Ominis is correct that I haven't seen Bash so happy since our parents died, it was not the world I was looking for, and I will return to the conversation once I've thought of it." Our conversation pauses as Enoch greets Ominis after his match, but once we realize the two are engaging in a private conversation, Anne returns to ours. "I know I have my hesitance in restoring my relationship with him, but seeing how he is with you gives me faith that one day, things may return to normal."

"To be frank, I don't things will ever be normal again," I caution her. "We share a burden unlike any other, the four of us." I weigh the depth of the conversation I want to have with her given our partially intoxicated state and the pleasant state of the day thus far. "Meet me in the Undercroft after dinner tonight. I think there are somethings you should know that may provide you with some insight."

Anne, ever curious, opens her mouth to inquire more only to be cut off by a berry muffin dropping into her lap. "Nearly had to fight Natty for it, but they were always your favorite," Sebastian interrupts. Anne gasps and immediately tears a piece off of the muffin. Sebastian sets an enchanted picnic basket down in front of us and starts removing sandwich halves, cured meats, cheeses, and an assortment of fruits. The five of us form a small circle around the basket and dig into our lunch.

The rest of the afternoon fills with pleasant conversation, friendly banter, and a wonderful opportunity to get to know Enoch better. He seems to be an incredibly intelligent and pleasant individual. Most importantly, Ominis appears comfortable with him. I'm not sure the extent of their relationship, and if I weren't already meeting Anne after dinner, I'd be sure to ask him.

I'll have to tomorrow.

When Anne and I are finished eating, we both rise from the table, earning a curious glance from Sebastian. "I'll meet you back in the common room later," I assure him. It's also issued as a subtle warning to stay out of the Undercroft to allow us some privacy. Sebastian nods but still looks on hesitantly as we depart.

Our walk to the Undercroft is silent. I'm apprehensive to see Anne's reaction to some of the things we've uncovered and kept from her. Though, if anyone deserves to know, it's her.

"Well, we're here. What did you want to tell me?"

I take a deep breath in as I contemplate where to begin. "I guess I should start from the beginning." I gesture towards the couch Anne had summoned not long ago. We both claim opposite sides of the plush cushions. "There are a few things that are important for you to understand as I'm telling you all of this. First, this is by no means by request of Sebastian. He and Ominis have been the most incredible secret keepers, and I need to have your word that my secret is safe with you as well."