Chapter 1: Wish Granted

Location: Home, Apartment

Sunday
April 12 2025

5 Hours Ago
12:23 pm

   "You're fired!" My manager screamed at me. "But sir-" "No buts, this was your last chance. It was a simple task, though I shouldn't have expected much from you." He spat as made his way out my office. A sound left my mouth, the rage that had building up for the past 5 years finally deciding to come out.

   I stood from my desk and stormed out after the man. He made it half way down the hall when I grabbed his forearm, spinning him to face me.

   "Listen here you miserable, misogynistic sad shell of a man. I have worked my ass off for this shitty company, and now you're firing me for not completing an assignment that would've taken months you gave me only a week ago!" I screamed. I've dealt with the disrespect throughout all my years of working here, I'll be damned if I deal with it while getting fired.

   I wasn't going to beg for the job back, no because that's what he wants. He wants to have power over me, to make me feel like I need him.

   Well I say fuck that. I'm done, and it's about time I told him so.

   I watch as shock floods his face. "You really think I don't know what your goal is? You get off on making others feel like shit, and you've got another thing coming if you think I'm just gonna roll over and take it." I stated. He couldn't get a word in as his lips flapped open before closing back again.

   "So starting now, I quit." I loosened the tie that was around my neck and unbuttoned the cuffs on my wrists. "Let's see how far you get without me." I spat before walking back to my office.

   That was a couple hours ago, right now I am currently sitting on the floor with my back against my couch, a bottle of whiskey in my right hand. I ran my left hand through my hair and threw my head back, taking a chug from the bottle. It burned as it made its way down my throat. I stared down at the floor beside my black dress shoes, beside it was a scrunched up sheet of paper.

In big red bold letters 'Eviction Notice' sat on top of the paper, the rest setting the conditions and time given.

I realize that spending the little money I have on booze wasn't the best idea, but I'll deal with that later. I take another swig, letting one of my legs fall to the ground. My white button up was pulled over my black slacks, my belt unbuckled as I lazily laid my arms to my sides.

The bottle in my hand had only a sip left as I slowly brought it to my lips, then tossing it to the other side of the room. I laid my head back, meeting the soft surface of the couch as I stared at up at the ceiling.

   "How did things end up this way?" I whispered to myself. I could feel the effects of the booze as my vision began to go blurry, my voice wavering slightly as my words came out slurred. "I was valedictorian at my high school graduation, and went to the best college in the state. I even graduated top of my class in the university, and here I am.." I cried, tears now making there way down my face as I sloppily stood from my spot on the ground.

   "Fired from my job by a narcissistic asshole who has nothing better to do than make women feel beneath him. Which is probably the problem, it's the only way he'll ever get a woman beneath him." I laughed to myself as my tears continued to fall.

   "And now I'm getting kicked out of this shitty place since that stupid hag of a landlord decided to up the rent," I walked over to the two other liquor bottles and picked them up. "I mean, who does she think she is!" I yelled before throwing one bottle at the wall opposite me. It smashed into pieces as the walls met splashes of the beverage. "Have you ever thought that maybe some people can't afford to pay your stupidly high bills!" I screamed again, throwing the other bottle.