The Story of Mary Shelley and Isabella Baxter Part 7

The Story of Mary Godwin and Isabella Baxter

Chapter 7

At St. Andrews, in 1853, Isabella and James were exploring the cliffs one beautiful spring morning. Isabella sat down on the rocks, watching James clambering about.

"James, I think you've grown two inches since we first came here two years ago. Time we bought you some new clothes," she said, smiling.

"Yes, I am taller, and much stronger now too Grandmama. Yes, only one more year and we'll be back Home in Balgonie. I shall miss the sea, I think," said James.

"Me too. I love it! It was a lovely day just like this when Mary sailed out of Dundee for the last time. I shall never forget it. It was the 20th of March, 1814. We were so excited and happy. We gave each other locks of hair... I still have hers..." Isabella sighed.

"Yeuch, isn't that a bit, well, creepy Grandmama. Keeping a dead person's hair..." said James aghast.

"Nonsense, James. In those days we lost so many people. From the war in France, to childbirth, terrible accidents. Some people in the country actually starved when the economy of Great Britain was badly hit by the war. Terrible politicians too, all men, and greedy... a lock of hair is a symbol of affection," said Isabella.

"Do you still have a lock of Grandpapa's hair?" James asked.

Isabella laughed out loud. "No, impossible. He lost all of his hair. But the day Mary left, he still had hair. We all went down to shout farewell to Mary as she sailed past Bottle-Work Rock in the Tay. We never knew that day that all of our lives were about to change forever, nor did we realise that neither of us would ever return to The Cottage in Dundee from that day forth..." she said, as she picked up their picnic blankets and basket and turned toward the headland path.

                                                                                       -0-

Mary and Hannah's ship arrived in London from Dundee early on 21st March 1814 and she was most excited to return home. Not long after her arrival, Percy Shelley and his wife Harriot entered Mrs Godwin's book shop.

"Good Morning Mrs Godwin, how are you today?" asked Shelley in good humour.

"Very well, Sir. Good Morning, Mrs Shelley, lovely to see you again," replied Mrs Godwin.

"...thank you Mrs Godwin," said Harriot, her eyes gazing through the back shop door, " Don't tell me... are my eyes at last gazing on the elusive Miss Godwin?"

Just as Harriot finished speaking Mary entered the shop from the back door hall., looking stunning in a neat tartan dress the Baxter girls had made and gifted to her.

"Good Morning, Mrs Shelley. Yes, I have just returned from Scotland," said Mary.

"Mary! Delighted to see you are back with us. Do join us on our walk this afternoon if you are not suffering from travel fatigue," said Shelley.

" Yes Mary, and please, do call me Harriet. I feel as though I know you already. Your father speaks of you so often. Fondly, of course!"

"Thank you Harriot, if it pleases Mrs Godwin, I'd love to..." started Mary. Mrs Godwin interrupted her.

"Follow me please. I'll take you to Mr Godwin's study. He is exceptionally busy so I'm not sure how much time he can give you today," said Mrs Godwin as she led them through the back door to the hall.

"We shall keep him only as long as he requires Mrs G., lead on... Harriot, after you..." said Shelley. While Harriot and Mrs Godwin walked in front of him, Shelley quickly pulled out a note from his pocket and handed it to Mary with some urgency.