The Story of Mary Shelley and Isabella Baxter Part 3

Chapter 3

In the August of 1809, Isabella Baxter's father, William T. Baxter, stood outside William and Mary Jane Godwin's corner bookshop at Snow Hill in London. He was accompanied by his 16 years old daughter, Christy, and they had travelled down from Dundee, Scotland. Godwin and Baxter were old friends since Godwin had helped a relative of William T. Baxter's during a court case, but they hadn't seen one another for quite a while.

"Here we are then, Christy. So this is the new publishing venture. Very well done, very well done indeed. I am impressed!" declared Wm T. Baxter

"Perhaps they will stock Mr Booth's new writing, Father?" said Christy as they entered the book-shop, door bell ringing loudly. Mary Jane Godwin stood behind the counter.

"Good afternoon Sir, may I help you?" she asked.

"My name is Baxter, William Baxter, and this is my daughter Christy. We have an appointment with Mr Godwin. I do hope we have come to the right place, Madam..." he replied.

"Ah yes, Mr Baxter, from Scotland. Delighted to meet. William informed me this morning that you would be calling. I am Mrs Godwin. Follow me, please." said Mary Jane Godwin reassuredly, and she led them through a little door to a passage that led upstairs to the rest of the house including William Godwin's study.

As Mary Jane led the way, William T. Baxter said, "It's a pleasure to meet you too, Mrs Godwin. Keeping the old man on his toes no doubt. Settling in alright, is he?"

"Oh yes, Mr Baxter. Mr Godwin has settled in very well and writing everyday as he should. He is very busy today. I assume you won't take up too much of his time?" she replied.

"We thought we might take afternoon tea with Mr Godwin, didn't we Father?" Christy announced.

"Really!" said Mary Jane displeased, "I'm afraid that isn't possible today Christy. Now if you follow these few stairs, you will arrive at Mr Godwin's study. I shall leave you here and get back to the shop. Just a little tap on the door should alert him..." and Mary Jane took her leave back to the shop as Wm. T. and Christy Baxter carried on up the little staircase and knocked gently on the door in front of them and then entered the study to find William Godwin sitting behind his desk. Godwin had become a little balder and stouter since his first wife had died, 12 years before.

"Good afternoon, old boy. I'm glad you had time to see me before I return home. It has ben too long, " said Wm. T. Baxter

"Baxter, you look as handsome as ever. Good to see you. Miss Christy! How you've grown, I hardly recognize you..." Godwin teased.

Mr Baxter couldn't help but gaze at the portrait of Mary Wollstonecraft hanging on the wall behind Mr Godwin's chair.

"How is young Mary? Anything like her mother?" asked Wm.T. Baxter

Godwin replied, "Not quite, not yet, but promising. The poor girl has a health issue currently... weakness of the arm. She and Fanny will enjoy some time with Christy, I'm sure. As will my step daughter young Jane, or should I say, Claire. She recently announced that she will only answer to the name of Claire. Young girls, bless 'em... Gimmee boys, any day."

"And Fanny? Does she resemble the great Mary Wollstonecraft?

Godwin smile. "Ah, Fanny. Genteel in every way. No, not in any way. She is as gentle a summer's breeze as her mother was an autumn storm," he laughed, "Did Booth tell you I have two sons now? Charles, Mrs Godwin's own son is 8 now and my own baby William is 6 years old already."

"Congratulations, my old friend! It's good to see you contented once more." Mr Baxter replied, amiably.

"How's your own family growing, Baxter? Oh, and speaking of Booth, where is he? He's been neglecting me lately..." he asked, wondering.