The Story of Mary Shelley and Isabella Baxter Part 5

Chapter 5

The day young James and Isabella had been waiting for in 1852 at St. Andrews soon arrived, the visit from James' mother and Isabella's daughter, Catherine. James could not wait to get some time alone with his Mother and tactfully, ever understanding Isabella, packed a superb lunch for him to take his mother to the St. Andrews beach. It was a splendid day and it gave James the chance to let Catherine know how he really felt about being away from home.

"Darling James. Can't you see we all want the best start in life for you?" his Mother said kindly but firmly.

"But another three whole years Mother? I gave up the English class for the Latin Class, why is that a problem?" James asked.

"I wish I could've gone to a proper school. When I think of all the boring days that I spent in Mr Godwin's study... trying to learn by myself," Catherine bemoaned, "I found it terribly difficult."

"I know Mama, Grandmama has already told me how lucky I am and about how none of you went to school," he told her, "When I told Grandmama that I had dropped the English class in favour of the Latin class, she said she would teach me about literature by reading it."

"Now I'd like you to listen carefully to me, James. There's nothing wrong with reading with Grandmama, nothing at all... and I know that you, and many other pupils did not enjoy the teaching methods of the most recent English teacher that you had, but there is a new teacher now and I would like you to give his class a chance because English is an important qualification from school towards your more adult learning."

"Alright Mama, I will, but I wouldn't like my reading sessions with Grandmama to stop, as I have been enjoying them. Grandmama is so different here," said James

"What do you mean 'different'?" his mother asked.

"I don't really know how to explain. She's happy, excited, sometimes dreamy. She talks a lot about the past but I enjoy hearing her stories, I really do. She's very kind to me," James explained.

"That's lovely James, because I used to love hearing all her stories too," Catherine said, smiling, "She hardly went anywhere alone except for family visits when my father was alive. He needed her by his side and she never left him when he wanted her. She was mostly quiet as a mouse in his company."

"She's certainly not quiet now Mother, she's always reciting some quote or another, or shouting upstairs to me all of a sudden saying, 'James! James! Hurry up it's time for a botany excursion.' laughed James.

"Oh, I'm so glad! It's lovely to hear that, she loves botany and she used to take me out on similar excursions when I was a young girl. Are you enjoying it?" Catherine asked.

"It's alright, I suppose. I'd rather be off playing with my friends though..." James admitted.

"How funny James, don't tell Grandmama but that's exactly how I felt too!" his mother laughed, "Come on let's eat some of that lovely lunch..."

Back at her town house in South Street, St. Andrews, Isabella was enjoying some time alone dusting her little keepsakes when she came across a little book of poetry by Shelley. She sat down with in her sitting room and looked at the little volume unopened and smiled.

"Oh Shelley, out of all of our circle, you remain forever young. How you loved her... I know it cost you, and my, how she loved you. This little book could never have been in my hand if her love hadn't brought it about. Your work would never have been known if not for Mary... She once told me it was the spirit of her great mother, Mary Wollstonecraft that brought you together. She never knew what a great writer she was herself because your work was uppermost in her mind and she felt her mother and father were giants of literature casting a great shadow over her. It was your poetry that freed her, and you that taught her the world needn't only be about politics and social strife, and money. My goodness, you shook up all our lives forever during your short life..."