x i

A half-hour later, I stand with Coriolanus outside of the arena. He let it slip that he would be sent in to fetch Sejanus, and I insisted on coming along. I like Sejanus quite a lot, and knowing he's safe is rather important.

Coriolanus couldn't really say no, so now I'm here, standing beside him. A small crowd of Peacekeepers and Gamemakers surround the front gates. The two screens on the outside of the building show two different scenes. One shows the real footage, with Sejanus kneeling at Marcus's side. The other shows what is being broadcasted: a dimmer image, in which the only sign that anything is amiss is the light glinting off of Sejanus's mentorship badge.

The Peacekeepers give Coriolanus and I vests to protect us, in case we run into trouble. The heavy material sits loosely on my body, but it should do its job. It pulls on my shoulder enough to burn a bit. I make a mental note to take one of my pills when I get home. We're given pepper spray and a flash unit to use in self-defense.

My body trembles as two Peacekeepers lead us through the barriers and into the lobby. Coriolanus's hand moves to my elbow.

"You don't have to do this, you know," he says. "You can just go home, get some sleep. Forget that any of this happened."

"I do," I say. "Someone has to keep you two in line, since you clearly love getting into trouble. Besides, I'm convincing."

Coriolanus loosens his grip on my arm, but doesn't let go. I'm surprisingly thankful that his hand is there, it makes it a little easier to realize that this is actually happening.

The turnstiles on the right side of the entrance were torn apart during the bombing, and have been fortified with a set of bars and several armed guards. The undamaged turnstiles on the opposite side don't provide an entrance, since one can't exit the arena in the same way they come in.

"So he had a token?" asks Coriolanus, breaking the disturbing quiet.

"He had a token," confirms the older of the two Peacekeepers. He seems like he holds a large command. I wonder if he knows my father. For my own sake, I hope he doesn't. "Caught us off guard. We're not really looking for people breaking into the arena during the Games, only out. These are for you."

He hands us each a token, the coolness of the metal biting into my skin.

"How did he think he'd get out?" I ask softly, though I already know the answer.

"I don't think he did," the Peacekeeper says grimly, confirming my suspicions.

"And how will we get out?" asks Coriolanus. This plan seemed dicey at best.

"There," says the Peacekeeper, pointing to the bars. "We can pull back the barbed wire and tilt the bars forward, creating an opening big enough for you to crawl under."

"You can do that quickly?" I ask nervously.

"We've got you on camera. We'll start moving the bars when you're successfully bringing him out," the Peacekeeper assures.

"And if we can't convince him to come?" asks Coriolanus.

"We have no instructions on that," says the Peacekeeper with a shrug of his shoulders. "I guess you stay until the mission is accomplished."

A chill shivers down my spine, though it isn't from the cold air.

"What about that?" asks Coriolanus, pointing at the barricade down at the end of the aisle.

"That's for show, really. It blocks the view of the lobby, of the street. Can't put that on camera," the Peacekeeper explains. "But you won't have trouble getting through it. We've got you covered up to the barricade."