v

Yesterday we had a school assembly dedicated to Arachne, but I wasn't feeling up to attending. Festus told the teachers I was sick, which wasn't a complete lie. The phantom sensation of the tribute girl's blood on my forehead sticks with me like mud to the bottom of a shoe.

In the evening, I snuck past the Peacekeepers to deliver food to Treech, but I didn't stay long. No one was around, other than the soldiers and the tributes. It was eerie, especially after the lively afternoon the zoo saw yesterday. The view of the dried blood staining the ground by the bars was enough to turn my stomach. Treech didn't seem to want to talk either, the walls that I had spent so long trying to break down were stronger than ever. Before I left, I made sure to reassure him that he would be fed while he was in the arena, as Coriolanus's proposal had officially been passed by the Gamemakers.

Today is the day of Arachne's funeral. I wear a black dress, the one I haven't had to wear since my grandfather's death last year. I sit with my classmates on chairs temporarily placed on the steps of the Academy. We're supposed to sit alphabetically, but I sit by Festus anyway. The avenue is lined with mourners. I haven't seen this many people dressed in black since the war. It's impressive, just how many people showed up to honor the life of Arachne Crane, a pretty mediocre person.

When the Academy clock strikes nine, the procession begins. Coriolanus starts by singing the Capitol anthem into a microphone. I didn't even notice he had been missing from our ranks. After Coriolanus sings the ending notes and the crowd applauds, President Ravinstill gives a brief speech about Arachne's accomplishments.

The funeral procession is led by the honor guard of Peacekeepers, marching carefully in time to the sound of a drumbeat. As they pass by my seat, something behind them catches my eye.

A large truck with a crane attachment follows slowly behind. Something is hanging from the crane. I gasp upon realization. The limp body of Brandy, the tribute who killed Arachne, dangles from the hook. The living tributes are shackled to the floor of the truck. Their chains are so short, that they can't even stand. They're forced to either crouch or sit on the metal floor. I see Treech sitting, his hat perched low on his face. I want him to look up, just so I can see if he's alright, but he doesn't move. It must be humiliating to sit there like that, half of the Capitol glaring down on you.

I can't tear my eyes away from the scene, so I blindly search for Festus's hand. He takes it, grasping it tightly in his. He runs his thumb over my knuckles, whispering words of comfort in my ear.

A second group of Peacekeepers follows the truck. Behind them, four horses pull a wagon containing Arachne's coffin. A chariot holding Arachne's family follows the coffin. I feel awful for her parents, not only because they lost their only daughter, but also because of the sheer discomfort of the whole event.

When Arachne's coffin arrives at the podium, the procession stops. Doctor Gaul gives a few words and then we are dismissed.

"Absolutely horrific," says Festus. "I'm sorry you had to see that."

"I just, I fucking hate this city. Everyone here just looks for opportunity after opportunity to turn the Hunger Games into a spectacle. We shouldn't be glorifying the deaths of children. That girl, she had a home and a family. And she makes one mistake, so she gets killed for it and paraded around the city like some sort of monster. It's not right, Festus," I sob.

"I know, V," says Festus, wrapping an arm over my shoulders. "Let's go inside, and we'll find you some water."

After lunch, the remaining mentors are instructed that we are to tour the arena with our tributes later in the afternoon. I frown when Professor Click tells us that the tour is to be broadcasted for anyone to watch. It further proves my point that the Hunger Games are just a spectacle for the Capitol's amusement.