Chapter Twelve: The snow

The cold breeze passed by, fog in the distance. The heavy snowflakes created almost 3 or 4 feet of snow. Trees blocking most of the view. Jay stood there panting holding a sword in his right hand, his left hand was on his right arm covering a wound where blood was dripping down to his palm. Blood also dripped down from his head, he could even taste it in his mouth.

His opponent in front of him, brown hair in a ponytail, face covered by a shadow. The only feature you could tell was his black eyes. Piercing. A black cloak that reached down his ankles though it was ripped at the bottom, white buttoned shirt and brown baggy pants with knee high socks and black shoes. You could tell he tried to maintain or replicate the 1700s style. He held a rapier in his hand pointed at Jay. A grin grew across his face.

"Ya know, I'm not even trying". He lunged at the demon as he said that. Jay blocked the attack. The opponent's hand turned into a black claw and punched him on the side of his waist. The pain was immense, Jay felt like his bones shattered for a moment. The regeneration was already at its limit, he kept pushing it non-stop. He wanted to hold out a bit more. For what though? What was there to wait for? He didn't know himself, only that he needed to hold out.

Blades clashed back and forth. Defense and offense over and over, Jay couldn't even land a hit on his opponent, everytime he had a plan it was blocked. Is there even a way to stop him? Any weakness? All there was to continue attacking and defending.

"You're not tired huh?". He commented.

"Those human qualities are gone,". The opponent responded as another rapier appeared in his hand and slashed at Jay leaving a cut on his forehead. A drop of blood hit the white floor and sinked in. Between the two this was a scuffle or a fight. Or was it more. At this point the two didn't know. They continued fighting, blades clashing with one another. Though there were tricks the other had under his sleeves. The opponent constantly kept using his abilities which consisted of his hands becoming claws or spikes coming from the ground. Dodging was hard as they kept coming, one by one. Jay lunged at him as an attempt to get back, it failed as a huge hand emerged from the ground and blocked the attack.

...

Behind the trees, there was a hooded figure riding on a horse through the woods. The wind beneath his hood. The outfit they were wearing was something made for the winter, a white baggy sweater or something meant for fighting. A black chest plate, shoulder plate and armor plate for sleeves. A belt around their waist holding various weapons, like a sword sheathed. Combat boots. A white scarf around their neck with a golden cross dangling. On their back was a bow but no arrows. It was weird. They stopped mid in their tracks, the wind blowing the leaves like they were showing the way. The hooded figure followed, they could sense energy, a kind of demonic energy. It wasn't a lot but easier to locate.

Getting there didn't take some time, more of pinpointing. Though there was a path of destruction: chopped trees though most of them are slowly disintegrating from a black flame. The figure never saw this before. A trail of blood sinking into the snow. This was intriguing to them as they slowly followed the trail.

The fight was still ongoing, the two looked each other in the eye. Both of them panting. Who knows what we're goin through in their minds.

"Hey, Ren... you tired or is that one of your human qualities removed?". Jay asked jokingly.

"I live for battle, child. Not sleep,". The opponent known as Ren said. The rapier in his hand disappeared. "Ya know I have the thing to wrap this battle up,". He had a smug look on his face. The demon was already on alert, but wasn't sure if he should strike. If he strikes another trick will appear and if he stays in place a trap catch and whatever captures him will engulf him. There was no time to think as he ran at him, he clenched the blade in his hand hard. Blood and sweat covering the handle. One big swing at him, and slashed his face. It took Ren off guard as a kind of black liquid dripped from the cut. He put his hand to his face.