19 ♪ the beating of my heart

Chapter nineteen

The next day is regular, but calming in its own way. The azure skies smile down at her as if her day would go well, without trouble or plight, it's a simple lie of nature, but Jihyun doesn't focus on the negative aspect of it to ease her mind. Jeeyu is playing outside, rapt by a soccer ball their mother had recently purchased. He's spent time kicking it around like a child would and Jihyun spent the same amount of time watching over him.

Jihyun's seated on a chair abandoned on the patio. It was a rare thing for any of them to go outside and actually sit on it from time to time, apropos to the browning sage tendrils curling around the legs of it along with the lacquered legs of the glass table.

Jihyun skipped classes today, a relief for her mother who had been urging her to do so for the past day or so, but she would have to arrive at the building soon if she wanted to meet up with Riki for their work. Though, it was less of a want and more of an action out of idleness. If she stays inside as her mom tells her to, then the boredom would sink in, numbing her body completely until it's all over. Yet that end seemed to be far in the future, the advent excruciatingly long. She needed to get out of the house, even if it was just the backyard, even if she was going out to see Riki.

"Come on, Jeeyu," she calls out softly, Jeeyu stops the ball under his foot and looks over to her, his cherubic cheeks red and his forehead sweating. He was smiling though, and Jihyun surmised that he had found a new habit. It was comforting that he was still fine despite all the ruckus occurring just behind his back, Jihyun's only focus was to not turn him around.

He jogs over to her, waiting and expecting. Jihyun stands on her feet and offers his hand for the little boy to grab. "Let's go inside so you can wash up," she tells him, and they amble back into the house following Jeeyu's quiet agreement.

Jihyun closes the door behind them, letting the click allow her to let go of the door handle. She pats Jeeyu's shoulder lightly, saying, "Go ahead and get in the shower, okay?"

Jeeyu toes off his shoes against the wall, beside the line of shoes already arrayed there, and he hums. "Okay. Can I continue watching Spongebob afterward?" He asks. Jeeyu's bright eyes reflect hope back into hers and Jihyun can't help but offer him a cordial smile as she bends to his height.

"You'll have to take your shower first to find that out."

With the sentiment left on his mind, Jeeyu scurries up the stairs in jaunty steps. She straightens her posture and pulls the phone out of her jacket pocket, absentmindedly checking the battery percentage before dialing up a number. A few rings in, a repeated tune into her ear, the line picks up and Rohee's voice comes chiming in.

"Hey, Rohee. If you aren't busy–since you don't have classes today–can you come over and watch Jeeyu while I'm out?"

Rohee hums positively, agreeing immediately and Jihyun's relieved that she did. "Do you have work with Shiru again?"

"Riki," Jihyun sternly clarifies, to which Rohee emits a hearty laugh. "But yeah, I do."

"Alright, I'll be there soon."

Jihyun grins, nodding at the confirmation. "Okay then, I'll see you."

"