Chapter 19 - It's Alive

They watch as the body they assumed to be dead.
The body that Keith used as padding from his daredevil fall earlier.
The body that no one really cared about until just now.

The body of a zombie

"Zombies don't know how to open doors right?" Joseph whispers to Eric who shrugs as though if to say The hell would I know?

Mr. Westwood jiggles the door handle then knocks, calling out to his employees, "Help." He weakly paws at the glass, clutching his stomach as he hunches over in pain. Everyone remains frozen to their seat, exchanging glances.

Voodoo... Has to be.... Black magic... That can't be Christian.

Keith's eyes fall on the seemingly innocent cat mug, beginning to wonder if the tea that was served was 100% just tea. Was it just him? It can't be... Vai pointed out the thing in the door, not himself. Keith ensures to observe Dr. Tate's reaction. It seems to be one of shock.

"What should we do?" Alex's shaky voice poses the question that everyone was asking themselves in the moment.

"That poor man needs to get to a hospital." Dr. Tate stalks over to the door.

"Hold on. Hold on. What if he's a zombie?" Joseph asks, getting to his feet. He looks at the owner of the university up and down,

"Zombies don't exist." Vai said mostly to herself as if she were to challenge the student's active imagination, his proof was right outside the door.

Dr. Tate observes, "I would not rule out zombification from medical science."

"Are you serious?" Vai asks.

The doctor adjusts his glasses, keeping a watchful gaze on the probable monster outside with tired eyes. As though he could collapse at any moment.

"There are different ways a person can go through zombification for example; toxoplasmosis – a parasite derived from undercooked meat, rabies, mad cow disease, and other prion diseases."

"And why do you know this? Don't you study more behavioural problems and habits." Dakota interjects.

"Yes but in university, I still had to take Biology courses as well. A colleague and I were researching dementia and stumbled upon this topic instead."

"So you think he's a..." Curtis tries to clarify.

"Called it." Joseph claps his hands together.

"I wouldn't say that unless we bring him in for further research." Dr. Tate admits.

Keith raises a brow, "But you just spoke about parasites and you still want to bring him in here?"

Dr. Tate fiddles with the pen in his breast pocket. "I think we've all been exposed by now." Subtly reminding Keith of his earlier accident. Keith clenches his jaw, annoyed at himself for trying that stunt in the first place.

Meanwhile, Joseph has his face pressed against the door, "Are you a zombie?"

"No." Mr. Westwood huffs.

"Guess that's that then. Mystery solved." Joseph claps his hands together, "Next mystery."

"How would he know what he is?" Alex poses.

"I don't know. I've never met one before. What's the protocol?" He turns to Mr. Westwood with a proposition, "Do you promise to not eat us if we let you in?"

"Yes." He breathes, grunting in annoyance, "Because I'm not... a zombie."

"I'm sorry I'm going to need proof." Joseph tells him.