Potions Master

"There, look."
 "Where?"
 "Next to that kid with blonde hair"
 'Wearing the glasses?"
"Did you see his face?"
 "Did you see his scar?"
"Is he a Slytherin?"
"Think he's involved in dark arts?"

Whispers followed Harry from the moment he left his dormitory the next day. People queuing outside classrooms stood on tiptoe to get a look at him and ordered back to pass him in the corridors again, staring. Harry wished they wouldn't, because it was unsettling. 

"Ron hold up!" Harry spoke when he spotted the redhead as they were walking over to the great hall. Weasley suddenly sprinted towards the great hall without looking back. Harry frowned. "What an arse," Draco said shaking his head and then raising his hands in surrender when Harry scowled at him. 

"He's just being immature, don't you worry," a voice said from behind. Harry and Draco looked back to find the bushy-haired girl with bucked teeth. Draco remembered her as Hermione Granger. 

"What do you mean?" Harry asked her. "Well as I picked up from a few conversations here and there, he is resentful you weren't in Gryffindor and well that Malfoy took 'his spot' " she explained, "and how exactly may I ask is that Harry's fault what house he was sorted in," Draco asked annoyed. 

Hermione narrowed her eyes at the blonde. "Is it not? the hat asks for suggestions doesn't it?" she asked, draco remembered the time he was sorted, it was quick but he remembered the hat also considered Ravenclaw for him when he was stubbornly thinking about Slytherin. 

"Well, yes but it's still the hat's decision which is not Harry's fault," said Draco harshly. Harry tugged his sleeve for him to stop talking.

Hermione looked at him with thinned lips and nodded. "I believe you're not like your housemates Harry and I hope Ronald comes around," she said without looking at Draco and walked towards the hall.

" 'Not like your housemates,' that girl acts like she knows everything, Salazar" Draco huffed. He didn't know how he was supposed to be nice to the mudblood when she acted like that.

"Let's just get to the hall," Harry said and they walked inside the hall. They got their time tables delivered by professor Snape who gave Draco a tiny nod when he smiled at him.

Harry Potter dared to sit next to Ronald Weasley in Transfiguration. Like was he for real? Draco thought they were going to sit together by default but nope, potter had to be a pain in the arse and sit next to Weasley who looked gobsmacked when Harry sat next to him.

Draco sat next to Theo who patted him on the back. "He's infuriating, bless my soul Theo, I might strangle him in his sleep" Draco had whispered. 

Professor McGonagall was different than the charms of Professor Flitwick, whose class they had the first thing in the morning. Draco had been quite right to think she wasn't a teacher to cross. Strict and clever, she gave them a talk the moment they had sat down in her first class.

 "Transfiguration is some of the most complex and dangerous magic you will learn at Hogwarts," she said. "Anyone messing around in my class will leave and not come back. You have been warned," she spoke gravely. His eyes went over to Potter and Weasley's table, they seemed to be exchanging friendly grins, and the sight really was not pleasing. Looks like them becoming best friends was inevitable after all.  He shook his head and listened to the witch in front of him. 

Draco looked forward to transfiguration, it was an interesting subject, with or without Harry Potter sitting next to him. He liked the subject just as much as potions, it was quite difficult than Draco had anticipated. But he got a hang of it rather quickly, mostly because of the practice he did at home before the start of the term with his mother, who was rather excellent in the subject.