EXTRA 1 - Happy 1st Anniversary

It is often said that unpredictable things happen in the world, as the saying goes: "anything can happen".Like me, for example, Jadeniphat, who had never been successful in the last 27 years, I had managed to find an enviable boyfriend. And my two friends who had had problems with each other for years had now become something more than friends, something ambiguous. The most unexpected thing was that in a few days it would be my first anniversary with Mai!

Time had flown by like the salary that had just been credited to the bank account. I looked at the calendar on the table, with circles around the important dates, and was a little surprised: Mai had been able to tolerate me for an entire year. To be honest, I wasn't an extraordinary person, I had some character flaws, but Mai was still here, willing to stand by me. Since we knew each other, he took care of me in every detail. King had once asked me if I had to choose between winning the lottery and becoming Mai's boyfriend, what would I choose. Obviously, without hesitation, I had chosen the second option. My boyfriend had a rich family, who knows how many times he was richer than the lottery prize!

Joke! Even if Mai wasn't rich, I would still choose him.

It was nice to have money, but I thought finding a good person was the most important thing. You could encourage each other, care for each other, walk side by side in life. I was luckier than winning the lottery. Even if I were reborn in the next life, I didn't know if I would still have the opportunity to meet such a special person. When you were lucky to win the lottery, you had to do your best to stick with it. I was putting a lot of effort into this relationship, to welcome our anniversary with dignity!

But, as I said, unpredictable things happen in the world.Just when we were planning to celebrate our anniversary in a restaurant or bar, listening to relaxing music, enjoying culinary delights and exchanging sweet confidences about the adventures of the past year, Mai had had a sudden crisis just the day before the anniversary!

The clock in the IT department read 7.30 in the morning. I was like an abandoned puppy, absentmindedly eating fried pastries and drinking coffee. Colleagues from the office gradually arrived and greeted me, but I only responded with a nod and looked down at my desk again, deeply disappointed.

It had all started the day before, Sunday, when Mai and I had gone to the mall as usual to have dinner and watch a movie. While we were choosing some snacks in the supermarket to take home, I suddenly heard someone call my name.

********

Sunday

"Jade? Is that you, Jade?"

"Oh, P'Neung!" When I saw who was calling me, I opened my eyes in surprise and approached quickly, putting my hands together as if in a respectful greeting. Neung was my senior in college, two years older than me. During my first and second year, he had been the president of the student association. Because I often helped seniors work in the association, I had become friends with the president himself.

Neung was always very kind to me. Being very poor at English and having gotten a terrible grade, he tutored me and often gave me snacks. Like most young people, I secretly admired my senior. Just being close to him was enough to make me feel emotional. After he graduated, we never spoke again because Neung went to the United States to study.

"When did you return to your homeland?" I asked, quickly looking my senior up and down. He was even more handsome than before, with his age now exceeding thirty, he had darker skin than in the past. He was really charming!

"I came back two months ago." Neung replied with a radiant smile. "I wanted to contact you, Jade... And by chance I met you!"

"Really, P'Neung?! What a coincidence! After all these years, you have become more and more beautiful!" I raised my eyebrows and joked. He laughed lightly and patted my head.