Chapter 16 - History Never Repeats itself

It had been almost a week since Mai had said he liked me, and I could feel something strange about him these last few days.

He wasn't joking anymore like the first two days.

I was pretty sure I wasn't just imagining it. In the first two days, he had confused me more than anything, and I had tried to avoid him because I still couldn't make up my mind, but in the last period he was too calm.

I mean, it doesn't move away from me, it just doesn't bother me anymore.

At first, I thought he was probably stressed about something like classes and stuff like that, until I noticed he was acting normal around everyone else in the office, but not around me. Although he was the person who mostly initiated conversations with me, he had recently become silent in my presence.

Even looking miles away, I could see something was wrong.

Friday morning, the last work day of that week, I was waiting for him in the lobby of my apartment building to pick me up. When seven in the morning rolled around, his black BMW parked in front of me.

"Good morning." I said and sat down next to him. The boy in the university uniform smiled politely.

"Good morning, P'Jade."

Our four months together in the car had rarely been peaceful, as Mai would always start a conversation or listen to me talk about random things. At that moment, however, I felt a little shy to say something, so the awkward silence bothered both of us.

There was so much discomfort that a person who hated silence like me felt like I was trapped in a cave.

"The traffic is terrible." I said, looking outside to see the other cars on the road.

We were all stuck behind the red light.

But Mai simply replied, "Yes." and then he stared at the road ahead in silence.

After that, the car fell silent again. The only sound left was the sound of the breeze from the air conditioner up into the office.

"I'll buy a cup of coffee. You can go upstairs." I said.

Normally, after I said that, he would stay by my side and wait with me, but that day he just smiled and nodded, then headed for an elevator. That smile was still as sweet and kind as ever. The only difference was the look in his eyes, he looked sad for some reason.

I don't think it's the same as before.

I watched him go with an emptiness in my heart. I didn't really understand what was happening between us.

I had always thought I was the only one who had feelings for Mai, I never imagined he would confess to me. But after learning that he had feelings for me too, I panicked and worried about our families, the future, and how I should respond to him. But before I finally came to a decision, Mai had changed his behavior.

There had been many times when those eyes had something to say to me, but then it had ended up with nothing. And I hadn't had the courage to ask.

What happened? I really don't understand.

"Why are you walking away again? What? Didn't you get enough sleep or something?"

I heard Fai's high-pitched voice from behind. I greeted her and noticed that she was wearing a tight red dress, sexier than usual.

"Oh hello. You seem very excited today."

"Certain. It's a day of celebration. I have to have an attractive appearance. I woke up at five to curl my hair." She ran a hand through her hair.