56

KADE HAD WOKEN up on the shore, alone with no Clary or Jace by his side. He couldn't remember what happened after he jumped in the sea, he lost consciousness.

Now, he was on his way to Magnus's apartment, the only place he knew he could get some help. He ignored the pain that he felt vibrating through his entire body with every step he was taking. His head hurt, he stumbled as he walked.

His nose would bleed every now and then and he'd wipe the blood off with the back of his hand. He ignored the looks being sent his way as he walked the streets of New York, he couldn't blame them. He knew he looked like hell.

Finally arriving at his destination, Kade weakly pushed the door to Magnus's apartment open and stumbled inside. He closed the door behind and rested his body against, unable to withstand his own weight anymore.

He hoped Magnus was in there. He needed help and he needed it fast. He was worn out, he wasn't sure how much longer he could keep up. His vision was blurry as he walked in the hall, he didn't know where he was going. He just knew he had to go there.

Meanwhile, Isabelle, Magnus, Jace, Alec and Clary were in the living room surrounding Alec who was on the couch as Jace tried to help him through their parabatai bond. But it wasn't working and Alec was slipping.

"It's not going to work," Magnus sighed, sounding defeated, "we need Kade and we have no idea where he is."

"Keep trying, Jace," Isabelle pleased, tears clouding her eyes. She refused to lose her brother. "Please."

"I am, Izzy." Jace grasped Alec's hand tightly in his, holding the stone. "But we still need Kade."

As if on cue, Kade finally reached the living room. His hands gripped the side of the wall as he tried to make out what was in front of him. He could see people but they had their backs to him and his vision was blurry so he couldn't tell who they were.

His eyes then fell on Alec. He could tell it was him, he was lying on the couch, shirtless and unconscious. The older Lightwood was the only one he could clearly see for some reason as if he knew he had to help him. So without wasting any time, he started walking towards him.

"Kade?" Isabelle asked at the same time as Magnus did as they all turned around at the sound of footsteps. Their eyes widened at the sight of the guy, he looked no better than Alec himself. In fact, he looked worse.

However, Kade paid no attention to them, he couldn't even hear them as he knelt down by Alec's side, feeling his entire body gave out as he leaned against the couch completely, but he managed to grab his other hand like Jace told him to.

"Entreat me not to leave thee," Jace began, "or to return from following after thee."

"For whither thou goest," Kade whispered, his head now resting in the crook of Alec neck, "I will go. And where thou lodgest. . ." Alec then made a move and the stone fell from their hands.

"What's happening?" Isabelle asked, fear and worry evident in her tone.

"He's slipping," Magnus answered, unable to take his eyes off the scene.

"Thy people will be my people, thy God will be my God," Jace continued, his other hand gripping Kade's tightly, "when thou diest, I will die. And there will I be buried. The Angel do so to me."

Alec then breathed out one last time making Kade's own breath hitch while Jace embraced him. Kade felt even weaker than before as he rested his head against the couch, his body slumping as he whispered, his voice cracking while still holding tightly to Alec's hand, "if aught but death part thee and me."

"Please don't leave us, Alec," Jace mumbled, his eyes darting to Kade who now had his own eyes closed as he tried to keep it together.

Magnus, Isabelle and Clary all had tears in their eyes, crying, thinking they had lost Alec. The younger Lightwood's eyes kept flickering from her brother to her boyfriend who looked like he was in dire need of help, or they might lose him as well.

"If aught but death part thee and me." Alec weakly whispered making a relieved weak smile reach Kade's lips when Alec squeezed his hand.

"Thank goodness," Magnus said, having gotten over the momentary shock. His eyes drifted to Kade whose eyes were still closed as he sat on the ground, a hand holding Alec's and his back leaning against the couch the latter was on. "Kade?" The warlock winced at his appearance, "get up. Let me help you."

"What did they do to him?" The Warlock asked Jace who bit his lip, his eyes staying fixed on Kade. Magnus looked mad, and they had to admit that they'd never seen him this mad before. "Look at his state—" he shook his head then moved closer to him only to realise that he wasn't conscious when he didn't receive an answer from the him.