31

"KADE?" ISABELLE CALLED out, looking at him expectantly. They were both lying on the bed, her head on his chest while his arms were still around her. They both needed a break after the day and they hated that they had to get up soon and join the rest since the day was far from over.

"Hmm?" His fingers were drawing random shapes on her back as she asked a question that has been troubling her ever since she could remember. She wanted to know the answer— she needed to. "What are we?"

He stopped the action of his fingers and allowed her question to sink in. Even he didn't know the answer to that. All he knew was that he has liked— if not loved her for a really long time though he has never acted on on, he thought she didn't feel the same. He thought that he just wanted to fuck her and then it would all be over— the stupid feelings but he was wrong. He tried to get her out of his system by sleeping with some random girl but realised that he was wrong when she was all he could think about.

Same thing went for Isabelle. She has been crushing on Kade for a long time but just like him, she thought that he didn't feel the same way about her so she disregarded her feelings but they resurfaced like they would always.

"I—" he paused, biting his lip as he contemplated on what answer to give her, "— we could be whatever you want."

At that, she plopped onto her elbows to look at him, her eyes boring into his soul as she repeated, a sly smile playing at her lips, "whatever I want?"

He narrowed his eyes at her expression, carefully nodding, "yeah, that's what I said."

"What I want is for you to be my boyfriend," she said without hesitation. She has been waiting for this for so long and there was just no way she was not going to grasp this golden opportunity.

He raised his brows, a grin playing at his lips, "only if you'll be my girlfriend."

"Done," she smiled and leaned in, about to kiss him when the alarm in the institute went off. They both sighed before getting up, fixing themselves. Isabelle put on her jacket again and tied up her hair into a ponytail like earlier while Kade ran a hand through his messy hair in a poor attempt to fix it before they both left her room and went to join the others.

"What is it?" Was the first question Kade dropped at Alec and Jace as they grabbed their weapon and stared at the large screen in front of them.

"There’s something outside the perimeter." Jace replied making Alec look at him with a knowing look, "I told you—"

"Don’t say it." Jace cut him off as Clary ran towards them, "What’s happening?"

"Looks like someone’s trying to break in."

"Could be the Circle." Jace informed to which Alec smirked, "told you so."

"Too soon." Jace muttered as the five shadowhunters grabbed their weapons and walked outside. Outside was foggy. They spotted the figure of someone carrying something.

"Don’t move." Kade ordered and the figure stiffened before Alec added, "drop what you’re holding. Put your hands up."

Raphael stepped in front of them, allowing them to see his face and a dead Simon in his arms making the shadowhunters lower their weapons.

"Oh, my God, Simon!" Clary gasped, tears filling her eyes as she stared at the limp body of his friend in the arms of a vampire.

Kade shot Raphael a look, clenching his jaw slightly at what occured before saying, "take him to the basement. Come on." He began walking away, towards the entrance of the basement with the other Shadowhunters trailing behind him.

Clary was distraught. Her best friend was dead and she was barely able to think straight. Isabelle didn't know what to make out of the situation while Jace only cared about how Clary must be feeling at that moment. Alec was only able to think of what was going to happen next; how the vampires broke the accord. On the other hand, Kade knew that Raphael had absolutely nothing to do with this. The vampire still took care of his human sister for crying out loud. There was no way he would murder a mundane— Simon at that. He knew for a fact that this was all Camille and he knew that it was time for her to be replaced.