40

KADE WAS STANDING IN front of the window in his room while Isabelle was sitting on the bed, fidgeting with her fingers on her lap as she drowned in guilt.

"Kade," she spoke softly, deciding to break the silence between them, "I'm sorry."

"You've already said that," he muttered, his eyes fixed on the scenery outside his window which was only trees that he could hardly see beneath the sky and the moon which was about to be covered by the thick clouds. "Like I already said before, it doesn't matter. Had I been there, you wouldn't be here right now."

"I didn't want you to ruin your family name because of me," she explained, staring at his back, "can you imagine what would have happened if you had been caught?"

"No, Izzy because there's no way I would've been caught," he finally turned to her, "I've done shit like this before. What were you thinking?"

"I wasn't," she admitted, "all I wanted was to save Meliorn. He didn't deserve what he was about to get."

Before Kade could say something regarding that, the door to his room flew open and Alec walked in, "Jace stole the Cup." Noticing the calm look on his sister's face, he stared at her in disbelief, "did you know about this? My God, did you help him? The Cup is the only thing that can get you two out of this."

"Jace is doing what he thinks is right." Isabelle defended.

"What’s right?" Alec raised his brows, "He put the whole Shadow World in danger. He put you two in danger. We have to get him back here. With the Cup. It’s the only thing that can help you both."

"They’ve taken Meliorn back to the Seelie realm." Isabelle informed, "you can’t track him there."

"Not by any of the normal ways." Alec said making Isabelle's eyes widen, "No, absolutely not. You cannot track Jace through your parabatai bond. It will weaken all the three of you— or break the bond."

"Jace already weakened it," Alec sighed, "how does he think I can trust him after what he did?"

"Don’t say that. Please, Alec. Think about what you’re doing." Isabelle tried to resonate earning a shake of head from her brother, "there's no other way."

"There is," Kade spoke up, "look, I'll get her out of this mess with or without the cup. Don't be stupid, Alec." He shot his parabatai a look, "think this through."

"I have," Alec walked towards the door, "we still need the cup either way. Jace was wrong for stealing it and I'll bring it back." And then he was out of the room, closing the door behind him.

"Fuck," Kade ran a hand through his hair, "this sucks." He went to sit down beside Isabelle, his body falling back on the bed as he closed his eyes, feeling a headache coming up.

"Are you okay?"

"What do you think?" He asked back, placing his hands on his head as he gripped his hair tightly. "It's like... everything is falling apart. I fuckin’ hate it," he rambled, letting go of his hair, "I don't know what to do anymore."

"You don’t have to do anything," she crawled on the bed and sat up while he lied down. "Everything's going to be all right," she cooed, bringing a hand to his hair and softly playing with him. Kade sighed and closed his eyes, relaxing at the feeling of her fingers in his hair.

"If you're convicted, you'll be stripped of your runes and banished, like Alec said," he began speaking, "you know I'm never going to let that happen right?"

"Kade, I appreciate everything you've done for me and my family but I got myself into this mess and—" she paused, sighing, "— it would look bad for you if you're trying to clear my name in the eyes of the Clave while they all know what I did."

"What are you trying to say?" He asked even though he wasn't really taking her words into consideration. There was no way he was not going to get her out of his mess.

"I don't want you to do anything that will ruin your own reputation for me," she blurted out, "if things go sideways, I want you to go with the flow. If I have to be stripped of my runes and banished so be it."

"I'll do whatever I want," he brushed off her words, feeling a weak pain shoot through him but he didn't say anything and allowed himself to relax as she continued to run her fingers through his hair.