𝙅𝙪𝙨𝙩 𝙍𝙞𝙜𝙝𝙩: 6

It was dark out. The amount of times that you all passed that same rock was not comforting. It wasn't just the endless circles, or that everyone was getting restless, but rather you knew your end was coming. With each step, every minute that passed your body felt heavier, and your eyes began to droop. Smacking yourself didn't work anymore.

"That's the third time we've passed that same rock, Baby."

"Oh, not again," Papa said exasperated.

"What do you want me to do? I've lost the scent."

"You only have one job. The one this that makes you mildly useful is your nose and you can't even use that."

"Goldi." Mama scolded.

You stood beside him, hand going to his shoulder, "Your mama is right. We're all tired and exhausted here Goldi. Just take a breath-"

"No! Last time we did that the map was taken from us." He snapped, shrugging off your hand.

You sighed, letting your hand fall to your side. He was right. In a way, it was partially your fault. But those cats would've swiped that map somehow no matter what. You went down from the rock you were on and stood by Mama, or rather, leaned against her. The tiredness was growing.

"I'm starting to think this wish isn't what you promised us."

"Leave off Baby." Mama tried pulling her son back.

So what is it? Eh? What's your "just right"? What's so blasted important that you've got us stranded in this haunted forest?!"

"I'm getting a family! That's what. A proper family. Then everything will be just right." Your head hung down. You knew it. You knew it but chose not to fully believe in it because you hoped for the better but...that didn't change anything.

Baby had stumbled back, "You're "just right" is getting rid of us?"

"Well, I guess some people just stick around until the porridge is gone. Eh, Goldi?" Papa remarked.

"Come on. You didn't think I would actually stay? I'm not a bear."

Off in the distance, shades of blue and purple shot into the night sky. The wishing star.

You and Mama made eye contact before she approached him, "I was always afraid it was too good to last. And whether you think we're family or not, if this is something that will make you happy," she sniffs, teary-eyed, "we'll get you that wish. Come on boys."

Mama began to walk off, her son and husband following. Goldi stared as they walked past him, feeling a sense of guilt. He turned to you for your reaction and response but you smiled bitterly, walking up to him.

"I always knew." You started.

"...you knew?"

"Yes. You're my...best friend. There's nothing you can't hide from me." You sigh, "Just like them...I'll be by your side. Until the end."

He opened his mouth to respond but hesitated. It was dark, but he could see how you seemed to walk slower. You've been yawning quite a lot. Your eyes were droopy, but he didn't think the only reason for that was sadness.

"Why did you say it like that?" He placed a hand on your shoulder, "Is there something you haven't told me?"

You avoid his eyes, taking his hand off your shoulder, holding it in one of your own.

"[Name]...?" 

"Come on Goldi. We should...get going." You paused, pulling out the letter from your pocket and putting it in his hands. "Read it after okay?"