Chapter 44

ZANOKUHLE
Bonus chapter, sponsored by Masindi Awelani Elisa
Chapter 44

The goats were slaughtered in celebration. There were a few more in the yard that would be used for Nkosana's cousin’s celebration that is going to happen in a couple of days. 
Turns out all of these people are Nkosana's family members. He has such a huge family, cousins, aunt's and extended family members are here too, that is all I was told and all I know.
Here I am, stuck in this room. Not really stuck but I don't know what I am.going to go out there and do, I am scared honestly. Well a bit and also I want to sleep but my aunt told me very well that I shouldn’t be lazy or try to sleep a lot wheni am at my in laws house. I really am a tired bun lately but when she warned me I took her warnings very seriously because she is old and I dongt want the elders gossiping about me.
Nkosana unpacks our things and he turns to look at me.
“Are you okay?”
“What am I supposed to do?”
“What do you want to do?”
“I don't know. Am I not supposed to be cleaning and cooking?”,I ask.
“My family is too large for you to cook alone Zano, besides. You are 8 months pregnant and ma said you shouldn't do anything until the baby is atleast 6 months old”,he says.
“Really?”,I frown while asking and he leaves our clothes and he comes towards me.
“Yes, I would push it to a year”,He says.
“I don't want your family hating me”,I quickly say.
He holds my hands into his.
“Dont worry Zano, there is really nothing you should worry about. There are alot of people here home and my grandparents understand you are pregnant and you are at a critical stage now. Anything can happen from now until next month and you need to relax”,he says and I nod my head.
“Okay”,I say and he leans in to give me a kiss and I return it
“I love you”,He says.
I smile and pull away from him.
“I love you more”,I say.
“Can you show me how much you love me?”,he asks and I open my hands wide and we both laugh.
A knock surfaces from the door and he attends to it and he opens the door wider as his mother comes to display.
“Are you guys settling in okay?”,She asks and I nod my head.
“Yes ma”,I say and she smiles.
“I just wanted to check on you and Ugogo wants to have some tea with Zano”,She says.
Tea, I don't really like tea.  I would prefer just having water than having tea but if the old woman wants tea then we will have some tea. 
“Okay, should I change?”,I ask as I stand up and look at myself in my leggings.
“I think that would be good”,She says and I nod my head.
The new dresses are too long for me. Someone tall would be able to fit them well thank I would. 
She tells me will fetch me in a few minutes.  I take off my clothes and I want, so badly to take off my bra but my nipples will show through the clothes. That I know.
Nkosana comes and stands behind me and he cups my stomach with his hands and rests his chin on my shoulder. 
The baby kicks a little.
“It can feel your hands on me”
“She can sense her father”,He says.
“I cannot wait for us to see what we have”,I say.
“We really are patient in waiting”,we really are.
I have been wanting to know what we are having but I just want it to be a surprise. 
“What if we have twins?”,Nkosana asks.
I turn around and look at him.
“Two humans are alot of work”,I say.
“I know but there might be a possibility. My grandfather was a twin”,He says.
“I don't think we will have one. They would've seen it through the screen”,I say.
“You are right”,Oh lord please don't even think of giving me twins. I will give the other one to Happy if I have to. 
I change into a dress and I wear a doek and Nkosana helps me tie it and I thank him. I give him a cheek kiss as a reward before I say my goodbyes to him and leave him in the room.

HAPPY

Headache, is what I am feeling. I don't know if it is the food that we had at Zano’s celebration or what but ever since that weekend I have been really sick. I can't stomach anything and to a point where I became dehydrated and Jabu had to rush me to the hospital.
Here I am, laying in this hospital bed. My mother in law didn't even come to see me so far. Yes she is still here and I think in her mind she is hoping I might be dying.
I can see the stress and worry on my husband's face but I am praying and hoping that I become better.
I look at the screen in front of me. 
My test results are supposed to come back today to check if I am okay anywhere else. Jabu has been sleeping here next to me, making sure that I am okay and don't fear that he is not next to me. He just wanted to be next to me the whole time. 
I guess one of the other reasons why his mother hasn't made her way to come and see me. 
As I am still watching TV I hear some little noise and soon I see my family walk in the ward. My dad and my mother with my single brother at his best. I was hoping he would atleast for once show up with a girlfriend at his old age!
“Ma, baba",I say and my mother shoves her bag to my father and she hugs me.
“Kodwa mntanami, what is going on. You look so thin.”
“Did he infect you?”,My brother says and my father hits him and he jumps back.
“No. You have came with your nonsense”,I say.
“Shut up Bandisa”,My mother says and she hugs me.
“Jabulani called us and we had to come quickly”,She says hugging and kissing me like I am a child when I am a grown woman.
“Thank you guys for coming”,I say.
“How.are you feeling now?”,My father asks.
“I am well baba”,I say and he comes closer and gives me a little hug.
Affection. I never really had hugs from my father while growing up, he was very strict. That's one thing that made me think a couple of times before I told them home that I am pregnant. I was 21, just figuring my life and so very young too. If it wasn't for Jabulani wanting to eight by me then things would've went worser than they did. He was angry, my dad that is but he eventually calmed down.
“Did the doctor's do any tests?”,My mother asks.
“Yes, I will get my results today”,I say.
“Where is Jabulani?”,I ask.
“Doing some calls”,My dad says and I nod my head.
We catch up for a while and I find out that my brother is still the flying feather that he is.  I just wish for him to have a child atleast. That is what our parents wish too.
We talk about alot of things and even ask about my little sister and how she is doing. She recently got married 2 years ago and much for my dad not being able to let go of her. 
It was very difficult for him. His last born being gone and my brother not having to control anyone anymore was a bummer for him. 
The doctor enters the room and my husband follows after him and the doctor greets and return the greeting.
“I have your test results back and you will be discharged tomorrow morning”,He says with a smile and my mother is happy to hear the news.
“How are the tests looking?”,I ask.
I am nervous. 
“I have great news today.”,He says.
Oh, that is good to hear then. 
“What is it doctor?”,I ask.
“You clear off everything.”,he says and I am so happy to hear that.
My mother hugs my father.
“That is great news”,She says.
“That is not all though. Would you like the rest of the news with the family or with your husband alone?”,He asks. 
I look around the room. Jabu is by my side that moment as my heart is beating fast.
“Uhm with my whole family here. It's okay”
“Okay.Your pregnancy results came back and they came out positive. You are two months pregnant”,My heart stops for a second beating.
I feel tears stinging my eyes.
“Are you serious?”,I ask.
“Yes,I am”,He mentions and I look at Jabu.
“We are going to have a baby”,I softly say and I close my eyes.
The tears drop down my cheeks and he takes me into his arms as I cry. 
“Shh, it's okay”,Oh my. I have been waiting for this for the past few years. 
We have been trying and trying when we felt ready but it never happened and now it is happening, I cannot believe this!

KWANELE

“What now?”, I sit down on the couch as my friend hands me my drink and I take a sip.
“He is practically married now and he is having a child soon. He just demoted me!”,I quickly say.
“He has to have a breaking point”
“Have you see his woman? She is thick, light skinned with flawless hair and shorter than I am.  I am skinny with my mother's struggling genes. She is coloured for all I know!”,I say.
“Yellow bones always have it easy”,My friend says and I take a sip of my drink.
“I just have to let my little crush go. It is over . Before I even lose my job”,She nods her head.
“It will happen soon, don't worry”,I sigh.
I can't believe that he saw eight through me so quickly that he demoted me. Now I am back to the reception and I hate that job. I really do and I loved the travelling my job had. 

ZANOKUHLE

The starts shine brightly through the night sky, the coldness is slowly seeping in though there is a heater in front of us but I would much rather be in bed right now. I take a sip of the tea and the one tea spoon sugar I got and I am not in like with it. 
This is what? My 3rd cup that I got and I have been feeling like using the bathroom a couple of times of which I had used but this old gal has not dismissed me.
“I didn't think Nkosana would ever get married. He was never even caught with a girl at his home”,she says and makes the sipping sounds from her tea. She smells like baby powder. I know because I use it now since I got a bit bigger.
“He didn't like girls?He had a girlfriend before me”,I say.
“Well he never brought her to be introduced”,She says and I nod my head. 
“Do you have any names for the baby?”,She asks.
“I don't know yet but I do like Alondweyinkosi. I don't know if Nkosana likes it too”,I say and she smiles.
“It will be a perfect name for a boy. Do you know why Nkosana is called Nkosana?”,she asks as she looks at me and I shake my head.
“No”
“He is meant to follow it and be the head and king of his father's castle. He is the only boy child and he is meant for great things. A protector and provider he is supposed to be”
“He is very protective and he does provide”,I say and take a sip off my tea and remember that it is not that great.
She lightly laughs.
“I like you mntanami”,She says.
“Really? I didn't think you would"
“Why not?”,She asks.
“I am weird sometimes but I am.”,I say.
“But that doesn't mean anything. You are just you”,I nod my head.
I look at my tea.
“Do you like tea?”,I ask.
“Yes, you don't like it?”,She asks.
“Not really and this one is tasteless”,She pulls the tray closer.
“You should've mentioned. You can add some sugar”,she says and I add some sugar into my tea and then I taste it and it is bit better, I grab a biscuit to wash it down.
“Do walk around the yard so that you don't have difficulties when you give birth”,she says and I nod my head.
“Yes gogo”,I say and she smiles.
“You can go and rest when you are done with your tea”,She says.
“I can go with it. I will just give it to Nkosana. I don't like it but I don't want to sit here forever”,I say and she smiles.
“Okay, bye”,I quickly get up and dash out of her room. I hope next time we have some juice.