Chapter 11

ZANOKUHLE

Chapter 11

Time flies, unexpectedly in that manner too. I didn’t think that I would be able to develop some parts of myself and find things that I like doing, I am still not someone who likes interacting with a lot of people but I do have people that I interact with from time to time of which are Bhungane, his mother, sister and her talkative twins.
I don’t have a problem with the twins, I like them now. Well I have my days, sometimes I do and sometimes I do not like them. It has been just only two months since I have lived here and it has been okay. I spend most of my time with Bhungane’s mother. I will just call her Mrs Mthimkhulu, yes I now remember Bhungane’s surname and her sister’s name being Luyanda. The twins still confuse me so I just say Twin 1 and 2 then I confuse them all over again. I want to remember them well and know their names differently and actually get it right too. They always tell me their names and I just don’t get it right with who is who.
I have met my driver. He is always with me and I am happy that I can feel safe wherever I am going though I was not happy at first but matters forced the situation when Bhungane had to leave a month ago and go to Johannesburg. I have never been there and he told me he will be back soon of which I don’t know when. I don’t even know what he is doing there. I didn’t ask too, not that I was bothered. He is my friend so I can only pray for him that’s all.
I miss him though, we used to spend almost every day with each other and now I spend my days with his mother or alone, going to the farm with her and cooking for her husband.
School? I am starting next year and next year is going to be within the coming month. I don’t know if I am going to go back home for December or not? Where will I spend my Christmas too, I have never spent it away from home so I just wonder what will happen. Do I have a phone to call him? Nkosana I mean.
No I don’t, I don’t have money for it and also I don’t have people to call too but I wish I did though. Maybe I should ask the driver to lend me his and I can use it.
Here I am walking through my living space for the time I am here. it is just midday and I have already made meals for me and my partner, the driver. Well should I say yard mate because he lives on the little cottage outside. I am happy about that so I don’t have to share the living space with anyone here . He has his own space.
I walk through the house and open the back door and I see his cottage.
It is a bit chilly today so I am trying by all means to be warm. I don’t like feeling cold. I would rather sweat from the heat if it came to that.
I walk through the grass and over where his cottage door is. I knock once and wait for a few seconds before the door is opened.
He is prime and proper and more ready than he should be to. He is always ready to take me anywhere I want to go if only I am going with him and not leaving his sight.
“Do you need to go somewhere ma’am?”,I hate it when he calls me that.
My name is Zanokuhle Ngubo and I am not a teacher. Wouldn’t desire to be one too in any way.
Kids are just too much, I would spank some of them sometimes but others I would be very fond of them and play with them like how I play with the twins sometimes.
“No, I want to call Bhungane”, I say looking at him and he looks at me for a while.
“I don’t have a phone”, I say after the little silence.
“I can pass on the message to him”
“I have my own mouth, I can speak”, he sighs. The gaze from my side doesn’t go away.
“Wait a minute please”, a minute is too long but I will wait.
He takes out his phone from his pocket and he makes a call. I wait, a “boss”, comes from his mouth before he nods his head and the facial expression from him shows that whatever he is hearing is not something good.
“Miss Ngubo demands to talk to you”, I didn’t demand. I asked, I did right?
he turns to me and hands the phone over to me and I take it and walk away from him a bit far so he wouldn’t hear what I have to say.
I end up disappearing inside the house with his phone, not caring if he is happy about that or not but I don’t want him looking at me while I am on call.
“Hello”, I say waiting in anticipation to hear his voice.
“Zano, how are you?”,I sigh and I sit down on the couch.
“You have been gone for so long. You said you will be back soon”, I say.
“You miss me?”, he says on the other side.
“Yes, its boring because you plan my day and we do things together. Now I have to figure that out”, I roll my eyes and throw my free hand in the air.
He chuckles on the other side at that.
“I didn’t know you are this dramatic, that is good. You have been doing things on your own”, I miss getting excited for something I didn’t know I will do. Now it’s just boring.
“Come back please”, I say.
Silence prevails from his side.
“Zano…I cant come back anytime soon.”
“You lied?”
“I didn’t lie Zano, I just didn’t know I will stay here in Johburg longer”, he says.
“Okay”
“I am sorry, I promise I will get you something when I come back”, I keep my silence. I don’t know what to say.
“Okay,bye”, I hang up after the call. I sit there on the couch and I go to the kitchen and check my muffins and I take a few and go outside with them to the driver’s room.
I knock on his door and he opens. I give him his phone and the muffins.
“Thank you, bye”, I turn around and leave him there.
I go back inside the house. I wish I didn’t have friends. I wouldn’t be bored and feeling this way, Mrs Mthimkhulu is always busy and she is old too, Luyanda is always at work or with the twins or her husband.
If I was with Refilwe it would’ve been better. She has no child and she is no ones wife so far so she would’ve been better. I should’ve made her my friend when I had the chance and tried to be more social with her. If Bhungane didn’t warn me to not be anywhere near Tusani I would’ve probably tried to find him and see if we can be friends again. Then again he pulled my hair and didn’t apologize to me so I do not forgive him.