Chapter 21

A piece of the past...

"Okay, that's good enough," her mother said after taking a good look at her from head to foot. She motioned with her head and added, "We can't be late. Get your feet moving."

Dannie felt like the ocean wave. Her mother was the wind, taking her wherever she wanted.

And this time, it was an intimidating, five-star hotel.

She could feel her limbs were getting numb and shaking at the same time. She didn't realize she had stood frozen outside the elevator doors.

"What the hell are you waiting for? Get in!" her mother hissed at her.

She didn't feel like she belonged there at all. So was her mother. Her dress was new, but it was not befitting to the place they were in right that moment. It was a wonder the guards did not stop them from entering wearing drab clothes.

But then, if she was right, it was her third time in the last two months. The guards must have an idea or maybe they were just plain ignorant.

"Just remember what I told you. And don't repeat what you did the last time. Understand?" her mother instructed as the elevator took them upstairs to their desired floor. "Just think about your sister."

She wasn't listening. She was actually thinking what would happen if she just ran away. Would things be better? Would Tessa be alright?

Before she knew it, her mother was already pulling her toward a familiar door.

She looked at her mother, her eyes begging—pleading.

"Stop looking at me like that. This is your fault in the first place. If you didn't do that to your father, this would not be—"

But the door opened before her mother could finish her speech. The man's gaze immediately went to Dannie with recognition. He was just like every other normal man one would bump into the streets. He looked harmless, kind even.

"I'll pick her up in two hours," her mother said to the man, her voice serious and business-like. She pushed Dannie toward the guy and left without another glance at her.

"It's nice to see you again," the man said as greeting, pulling her gently inside the room. He closed and locked the door behind them.

All her thoughts went out the window and the only thing that lingered was the intense hatred toward her mother.

PRESENT DAY

Dannie slowly opened her eyes. It wasn't a dream. It was a memory. And she was used to it by now.

She had long stopped hoping they would stop coming. For a time, they did, but they all came back when her mother dropped by for a visit one year ago.

Slowly, she got out of bed. The noise outside told her George and Jackie were with the guys who, apparently, did not go home after last night's events.

Her hand went to her cheeks and she discovered that she had been silently crying in her sleep.

Walking to the mirror across her bed, she squared her shoulders. She had overcome that fateful day and she would overcome today as well. She spent some time to pray and thank God for another day. When she opened her bedroom door, the memories of her past were back in the darkest part of her mind, just somewhere in between the conscious and subconscious. Ready to disappear and ready to resurface.

"Good, you're up," George said when she saw Dannie close the door behind her. Jordan, Dean and Troy were scattered on the carpeted floor of the living room, their head bent over their tablets. Their coffees were sitting beside them, all half-empty.