Chapter 20

A piece of the past...

"Where's Danica's assignment?" Troy asked Jackie and George.

The two girls looked at him stingily. "She didn't make one," George finally answered.

"It's the last assignment of our high school life and she didn't make one? Come on, you're just trying to hide it from me. Just let me borrow it for a minute. I won't let Miguel and Lee see it, promise!" he said desperately.

"We told you she didn't make one so just do your assignment alone!" Jackie snapped at him.

Troy opened his mouth to say something but closed it again when Dannie came near, her eyes blank.

George kicked him and gave him a look that said, "Don't say anything."

Troy decided to walk away, wondering why Dannie, of all people, wasn't able to do their assignment.

PRESENT DAY

"Do you want me to pick you up later?" asked Troy as he stopped Tata outside the convent gates.

"I'll go on my own when I—"

"Just give me a call," he interrupted, not hearing her.

She did not want to have another round of banter so just uttered a thanks before climbing down Tata. Troy did not drive off until she was a few feet away from the gates.

She waved goodbye, took a deep breath and went inside.

Sister Odette was one of the sisters she was close to and the only one who had the time to talk to her that afternoon.

"You should have told us you are dropping by," the nun told her. They decided to settle on a bench outside the convent church. No civilian was around at that time.

"It's just a random visit," Dannie explained.

"How are you spending your break?" Sister Odette asked in a very calm voice. Considering her large built, her gentle voice was a big surprise to Dannie when she first came to the convent.

"It's been interesting," she answered.

A long silence reigned between them. Dannie was quite certain that the nun was trying to figure out the real reason for her visit. At the same time, she tried to figure out a way to say what she wanted to say.

"You appear conflicted, my child," Sister Odette finally said.

Dannie was not surprised by her words at all. The nun had always been very perceptive.

"My mother came by a few times to talk to me," she finally admitted, avoiding the nun's gaze.

"And?"

"And I didn't face her. I don't want to face her."

"Because you are not ready to forgive her yet." It was not a question.

Dannie finally met Sister Odette's eyes and nodded. "Whenever I think of her coming to our apartment to see me, I want to hide—go back here so she can't see me again."

"Danica," the lady said, taking her hand in a gentle and comforting hold. "This convent is not a place for you to hide from your fears."

"I know," she sniffed. The tears had started to fall once more and she wiped them away with her free hand.

"Nor is it a place for you to punish yourself for not being able to forgive the woman who gave you a lot of suffering in the past." Sister Odette squeezed her hand as she talked. "We are here because it is our calling—because we want to serve the Lord with all that we are."