19. Dyed Red

White steam | Kang Mira 

"Everything fine there, Noona?"

Beomgyu peaks at me behind the train's window. It's left hanging ajar, and autumn rays blossom into the compartment as I shuffle my cloak, checking if I have fell anything behind.

"Seems fine to me."

"Your ticket? Water bottle? Tissues?" Soobin asks timidly, and arranges his hat. "Do you need me to fetch anything for you from the stores?"

"There's no need, Soobin dear."

"Okay." Soobin turns a little red and looks away to hide his face. Beomgyu watches me through his starry eyes.

And it suddenly hits me, the fact, that all of the brothers share such pretty eyes. Eyes that capture the divine beauty of nature, and keep it locked in their gazes. The bright hues of Beomgyu's eyes share harmony with the same dazzle of Soobin's eyes, and their eldest brother, Yeonjun, seems to have the mix of both of those.

"Noona, Noona." Beomgyu hums, and rests his chin on the window rest. "I will miss you."

"Me, too." Soobin avoids my gaze.

"Boys, it's not like I'm going away! It's just going to be a week or even less than that." I lean forward to stroke Beomgyu's cheeks, and pat Soobin on his head lightly. "Don't miss me too much, okay?"

"Okay, okay!"

"Now, now, the train's about to leave, how about you two get to a safer range?" I point at them earnestly clutching onto the window to watch me. Beomgyu slowly lets go off his hands and retreats.

"Noona, please, bring us some cookies! Or chocolates!" Soobin waves his hands, as the whistle starts ringing, the wheels rattle, and steam engulfs the station. Beomgyu steps on his tiptoes and shouts at me.

"And tell our brother that we hate him!"

"You two will never change!" I burst into giggles and start waving back at them. The train begins leaving the station, Soobin howls, Beomgyu screams, I can't hear what they are saying, but their faces explain it. The pouts on their lips and ceases on their brows look painful to me, and the saddened look on their eyes, it hurts.