17. Consent

Bookshelf | Kang Mira

"Do you think we can return him to his family?"

Sarang mumbles over my shoulder as she peers through the window. Both of our eyes were glued on the people at the front yard; the mysterious boy is dwindling on the grass with his dog and having a deep conversation with Yeonjun and his brothers. Beomgyu and Soobin look genuinely concerned and has its traces written over their faces, while Yeonjun covers it away and talks as if he has known the boy for years.

"If I'm told to be honest, I sincerely do not know." I scratch my nape before resting my chin above my palms. "He lost his way back in January, didn't he say that?"

"Yes. But such a poor boy, having to deal with such a trauma." Sarang sighs and slumps down beside me. "I would not prefer having such crisis at the age of ten like him."

"You don't get to choose your destiny, do you?" my eyes flicker over her way before turning back to the male who is supposedly my husband. "None does."

"But you surely get to control it, don't you?" Sarang doesn't let the topic rest. "If he didn't let go of his mother's hands in that fair, he probably could have avoided that accident."

My back falls over the bed as I sprawl out my body and sigh deeply. "This is why you are a girl, Sarang. And I'm a woman."

"Don't you pull your senior card on me!"

"Huh, be a woman, be a woman." I hum while twirling my hair with my fingers. "Being a girl means nothing in this world; people would never appreciate your chastity, diligence and honesty."

"Why are you turning so sulky now?" Sarang's brows crease. "You sound like my mother. Dumping advices any moment she can."

"I do? Maybe I do..." my voice loses its depth, turning into a more playful tone. "Yes, maybe..."

"Oi oi, don't tell me you lost your head over yesterday's night!" Sarang speaks in a terrified voice, and a secons later, she hovers on top of my face, her eyes bulging out, mouth hanging lopsided. "Yes, you did." she confirms her suspicion as I give her a zoned out look. "You definitely lost every single thing that is called yours, didn't you?"