7. Young And Carefree

War Scars | Kang Mira

The following morning, I get my dressing changed by a nurse

"You're awake now! That's great!" the girl claps her hands enthusiastically and turns to the table, opening the corks of several glass bottles. She looks merely above seventeen; with long brown hair cascaded down to her shoulders, sharp nose and gorgeous plump lips. At the first glance, I have thought that she is a singer. "I have been changing your dressing for two days without you having sense. It feels good to talk with you, though!"

I smile a little, hands placed on my wound. She comes near to me, and starts taking off the bandages carefully. I stare at her work while staying silent. The girl looks up at me, her eyes full of astonishment.

"Ms, doesn't it hurt?" her voice is rather shocked. "You're making no sound..."

"Um..." I scratch my head, feeling awkward. "It does hurt, but I don't like to express it much."

"War made you strong. I get it." she speaks while focusing herself on cleaning the wound. "Well, I wasn't in the country when it happened. I felt very guilty, so I returned with my siblings as soon as possible to work in this hospital. There were so many wounded people who needed to be treated, and also, there weren't sufficient people to run this place at the same time. I'm glad that we're finally over that phase."