Chapter Twelve: A Sumptuous, Festive Feast

Colin was grateful that the church was sparsely attended on his arrival. His mother stood as soon as he entered and gestured to an empty seat in the family pews at the front, which just happened to be on the aisle and directly next to Penelope. He had a sort of frantic wordless gesture conversation that ended with him prodding Ben into an empty pew in the back. He now knew what his mother was doing, though he felt a bit dim that Ben had to point it out.

"Mark my words," he'd said. "She wants an engagement by the end of this visit and I wouldn't be surprised if she pushed for a wedding as well, if things between you and Miss Featherington progress further."

"What? Nothing has even—"

"So are you saying you didn't enter her room last night?"

"How the devil do you know that?"

"No denial, I see," Ben chuckled.

"That's not... I didn't not deny it. I asked how you know, which doesn't mean there was anything to know anyhow."

"That is way too confusing to argue. I know because I knocked on your door to tell you how our dear, drunken sister fared, but you were strangely absent."

"Still, that doesn't mean I was in Penelope's room," Colin muttered. "I'll have you know I went downstairs to the kitchens last night."

"Yes. I saw that while I was trying to get the wet noodle formerly known as Eloise up the stairs. You are far too tall to hide behind a potted plant successfully. Anyhow, This was much later."

"Very well, I did look in on Penelope because she was having some trouble lighting a candle."

Ben laughed. "And I'd bet you lit her candle, didn't you?"

Colin rolled his eyes. "What does that even mean?"

"I don't quite know," Ben seemed to consider it carefully. "Flame, fire... There's something to it. It's not as good as 'snowy hills,' I grant you. That was quality wordplay and innocent enough that only you would be tortured by it."

"Why must I be tortured at all?" Colin whined.

"Because you won't admit it. So, until you do—"

"Oh, very well. I admit it. I kissed her," Colin burst out. "But she kissed me first! After that... well..."

"You poor man. Absolutely forced to reciprocate a kiss," Ben put an arm over his shoulders. "There was surely nothing else that could be done!"

"Would you stop?" Colin shrugged him off. "What I mean is that I would not have kissed her if she didn't indicate a desire to be kissed. I am a gentleman."

"A gentleman would have left it at her kiss, perhaps gently scolded Penelope for letting her lustful thoughts get the better of her." He laughed. "Better to say you are a man with a man's desires. I don't fault you for it. Tis only a kiss."

Colin didn't hear the rest of it. Because Ben putting the possibility that Penelope had lustful thoughts in his head had rendered him speechless. He'd been so busy berating himself for his own lustful thoughts and actions that he hadn't considered hers. Though he did note that she was a bit dangerous last night as she drew closer, as she looked at him through her lashes, as she asked him to stay. And this morning, she'd been quite flirtatious, advancing on him like a prowling lioness...or kitten. She was just too damned small.

There was a moment when she was one step above him, her lips nearly level with his, when he was calculating the distance of his family and the likelihood that one might come back in. Could he kiss her for just a few seconds? Or could he risk ten seconds or more, enough to taste her again? She seemed certain not to mind.