Chapter Twenty One

Three hours had passed before we realized that it was already past lunch. We had completed deciding where we put the gems and had done so. We headed into the kitchen but noticed that Hoodie was already in there with a plastic bag on the table.

"What did you find," Masky asked

"Some chicken noodle soup, found it at one of the vacation cabins not to far from us," He explained

"Good," Masky and Hoodie started to cook it and get everything ready.

"Later on today EJ might stop by," Masky threw out

I scrunched my nose up, I didn't want to see him. The memories of the first time I met him still lingered in my mind. Masky seemed to notice this because he quickly responded with, "Don't worry, he's just here to inspect your arm and tell us if he's found a way to de escalate the madness,"

I just nodded my head, as long as I didn't have to get another shot I'd be just fine. We all fell into a comfortable silence, the only noise was the sound of the stove heating the soup. It was a nice comforting feeling, like a coffee shop but a little less fancy of course. I laid my head down in my arms. The sleepless night I had just had was starting to catch up on me. It stayed like this until a couple of minutes later when Masky broke the silence,

"Tomorrow we need to go get some more food,"

Hoodie nodded his head and I did as well. He mumbled an "Alright," and turned back around to tend to the soup again.

The silence settled back in on us and stayed there. My eyelids started to fall down. I could feel sleep pulling me under but I fought it. Only for a little while tho, after another minute or so I finally just closed my eyes and let sleep wash over me. And just as I did Masky announced that he soup was done.

I let out a hefty sigh and picked my head back up. A bowl and bottle of water was placed in front of us all. Both Masky and Hoodie sat down and started to dig in, I followed suit. I took a sip of the soup and instantly regretted it, it was scorching hot and burnt my tongue and throat. This time I actually blew on the spoon before I ate it. I took a quick glance up and saw that Masky and Hoodie were both doing the same thing. Only lifting their masks up only as far as necessary. I wonder what happened to them, I honestly felt a little pity for them both.

Hoodie was the first one done, he sat his bowl and spoon into the sink. He was about to head out the door but Masky stopped him, "Where are you going?" He asked.

"Scout some houses for us," He responded.

"Oh, alright. Be safe," And with that Hoodie opened the door and went into the forest.

"Ya know, before we take off tomorrow, I want to teach you a few things," Masky said

I raised a brow, "Like?"

"Fighting wise, you need to learn how to defend yourself. Just in case I'm not here to protect you," He explained

I nodded my head, he was right. I really did need to know how to protect myself, especially here. He spoke up once again, "Do you know how to fight at all?"

"No, not really,"

He nodded his head and let out a "Hm." He was about to say something else but was interrupted as the door opened. It was EJ, he closed the door and walked over to the kitchen table with us.

Masky immediately started pressing questions, "Did you find anything to help,"

He nodded his head, "It's not much but I think you'll appreciate it,"

"Do tell,"

"Well, from what I gathered, the subjects only had themselves for comfort, they had no one to help them through it. No one to encourage them or anything along the sorts. And at night they were left in complete darkness, no lights no nothing. And the final thing that I evaluated was their state of living. They only had a tiny room and were never let out of it. The subjects were studied at an unfair level if you ask me. But anyways, I think it is quite possible for you to overcome this. The odds seemed as if there stacked in your favor now." He finished