4. The Sorting

"When I call your name you will come forth. I shall place the Sorting Hat on your head and you will be sorted into your houses." The professor said. In front of the whole school? Bloody hell. "Hermione Granger." 

As Hermione slowly walked over to the hat I could hear her muttering to herself under her breath. "Oh no. Okay, relax." 

Ron leaned over to Harry, "mental that one, I'm telling you." Harry nodded in agreement. I thought that was a bit unfair.

When the Professor put the sorting hat on Hermione's head it started talking, I raised my eyebrows in surprise. I wasn't expecting that. "Ah, right , then. Mm, right. Okay, Gryffindor!" The Gryffindor table burst into applause as Hermione happily hopped off the school to join the table. I saw Professor Dumbledore lightly clap too.

"Pansy Parkinson." I guessed she was going to be put in Slytherin, she walked up to the stool half confident, half nervous. 

"Slytherin!" The hat shouted. Oh. I was expecting this but it still felt like a punch to the stomach, my friend was now in Slytherin and I wanted to be with her but I didn't want to be in Slytherin. I felt conflicted.

"Draco Malfoy." Even Draco looked a little nervous, but a grin appeared on his face as the hat sorted him into Slytherin before it had even touched his head. 

"Harry Potter." Everyone went silent as Harry approached the stool. I even saw Dumbledore lean forward in his seat. Everyone hung onto the hat's every word when it started speaking on my brothers head.

"Hm, difficult, very difficult. Plenty of courage, I see. Not a bad mind, either. There's talent, oh, yes. And a thirst to prove yourself. But where to put you?" I saw Harry moving his lips but I couldn't hear what he was saying. "Not Slytherin, eh?" Oh. "Are you sure? You could be great you know. It's all here, in your head. And Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, no doubt about that. No? Well, if you're sure. Better be... Gryffindor!" The Gryffindor burst into another applause, the loudest one yet. And Professor Dumbledore even stood up and clapped properly. I thought that I would definitely be in Gryffindor now, as my parents and Harry were sorted into there. When Harry had sat down and the cheering had died down. It was my turn.

"[Name] Potter." The hall went silent again as I slowly walked up to the stool, my heart was pounding in my chest. When I sat on the stool the hat was placed on my head, I couldn't see because it fell over my eyes. I sat there for what felt like hours but was only a few moments before the hat called out...

"Slytherin!" Only a few people on the Slytherin table clapped, everyone looked confused and I heard people whispering as I hurried over to the Slytherin table and sat down next to Pansy. I glanced at Harry who was as confused as me. Even Professor Dumbledore looked confused, Hagrid just looked sorry for me. This can't be right. I felt like I was about to cry, everyone was staring at me. 

Astoria was also sorted into Slytherin, along with Mattheo and Lorenzo. After everyone was sorted a Professor who Astoria told me was called Professor McGonagall spoke. "Your attention, please." Everyone went silent as Professor Dumbledore stood up.

"Let the feast begin." With that, mountains of food appeared in front of us. I was so hungry I almost forgot about what had just happened as I started filling my plate with all sorts of food.

"So Potter, what do you think about being in Slytherin?" Mattheo asked, he was sitting a few feet away from me.

"Just ignore him [name]." Astoria whispered, I nodded. A million thoughts were racing through my mind. How on earth did this happen? I couldn't be in Slytherin. What would Harry think? What would my parents think if they were alive? I could still hear people talking about me and my face went bright red with embarrassment, I really felt like I was going to burst into tears. I wanted to go somewhere else to get away from everyone but I didn't know my way around the castle yet. I wanted Harry but he was at the other side of the room. I was too shocked to eat anything so I just had to sit and wait it out.