𝐃-𝐃𝐚𝐲 𝐒𝐨𝐥𝐢𝐝𝐚𝐫𝐢𝐭𝐲 | 𝐑𝐨𝐧𝐚𝐥𝐝 𝐒𝐩𝐞𝐢𝐫𝐬

❃ ❃ ❃

❃ ❃ ❃

"It's a green light! Go!" Were the last words you heard before plummeting to the earth.
As you parachuted out of the plane you looked down at the explosions below, Operation overlord was off to a rocky start, and you were dropping right into enemy lines.

You landed abruptly and caught your bearings.
"M1, cricket, reserve chute, uhhhh...shit where's my drop bag?" You counted your belongings, though you lost half of your equipment, you felt safe with your M1.

With your rifle in hand, you cautiously walked around the area. It was pitch black with only the moonlight illuminating your path. You could only see the trees in front of you, and hoped to see a friendly face soon enough.

You heard the bushes start to wrestle as you lifted your M1.

"Flash" you said with your finger on the trigger.

No response.

"Flash" you repeated ready to shoot whoever was coming your way.

"Thunder" you heard as Lieutenant Speirs of Dog company presented himself in front of you, un-phased with the fact that you were leveling off at him.

"Sorry sir I didn't realize that was you." You said nearly trembling at the thought of causing friendly fire.

"That's alright." He said looking around inspecting the area. "What's your name Sergeant?" He eyed you as the two of you started to walk beside each other.

"(L/n) sir, Sergeant (Y/f/n). Easy Company. Have you seen any of the men since you landed?" You said curiously.

"Not a soul. I'm sure battalion headquarters will set up a CP by morning, until then we need to try to find friendly faces."

Just then the two of you heard a couple of soldiers speaking in German. Speirs grabbed your arm and pulled you behind a bush where you crouched down pointing your rifles at the kraut soldiers. Before you could even think Speirs took both of them out in an instant. He then looked at the bodies and motioned you to continue walking with him.

Who the hell is this guy? You thought to yourself. We're not even an hour into combat and the man acts like killing is second nature. I hope I never become so desensitized to bloodshed...

You stared at him.

"There a problem sargeant?" He said looking straight ahead. He must've felt your gaze.

"No problem sir. I guess I'm just admiring your composure in our current situation."

"Composure?" He questioned.

"It's just you seem...fearless. As if you've been at war for years." You said looking at him squinting. He stopped walking and looked down at you like a tall shadow figure.

"Fear is the biggest enemy of war.
Sooner you accept the fact that there's no hope in this god foresaken place, the sooner you'll function as a true soldier is supposed to. Like a dead man walking." He stared into your soul.

You felt chills go down your entire body. You were both scared and intrigued at the mindset of Lieutenant Speirs. You could hardly think of a response.

"Yes sir." You said nodding as if you were trying to convince yourself he was right.

"I gotta ask" He paused. What's a woman like you doing in combat anyways?"

"A woman like me?" You got this question often, but always played dumb when answering. You were just serving your country like anyone else, only difference was you were a woman.

"You know what I mean sargeant...you're delicate. It's not a bad thing, it's just women aren't built for combat. Men are supposed to fight for their country with the support of woman on the home front not the front lines." Speirs said as the two of you walked in what felt like circles.

Everything he said made sense. It really did.

"All due respect sir I guess I just felt a higher calling and went for it. I'm not saying I'm some Rosie the riveter hero. I'm just fighting for my country. Same as you."

"That's admirable Sargeant. We'll see how you keep up in combat." He said almost sarcastically.

"Is that a challenge sir?" You said trying to keep your composure.

"Not a challenge Sergeant...smoke?" He offered you a cigarette.

"No thank you. I don't smoke."

"Delicate." He said nearly grinning as he lit the cigarette in his mouth.

"You better hope no krauts see your lighter." Before you could finish your sentence, you heard rustling in the bushes behind you.

"Flash" A familiar voice said.

"Thunder" you responded.

Lieutenant winters appeared along with Malarkey, Lipton, and Guarnere.

"Boy am I glad to see you guys." You said to Winters in relief.

"Me too Sargeant (L/n)." Winters said giving you a half grin. "If I remember correctly I gave you a map before the jump."

"Yes sir." You rustled through your bag finding the map and a flashlight. Putting it in your mouth. Winters removed his compass from his pants as the two of you concealed yourselves under a poncho.

"Alright this was the drop zone and we were 5 miles off target. That means we're somewhere in this unmarked terrain." Winters pointed on the map for you to see. "Odds are the rest of the company will be heading south towards Brecourt Manor; 4 miles off Utah beach." You turned off your flashlight as Winters removed the poncho.

"(L/n) I want you to navigate." Winters ordered as you nodded.

"Lieutenant Speirs" winters said Saluting.

"Lieutenant Winters" Speirs saluted.

"Any clue where your company could be?" Winters said as you all began to walk towards your objective.

"No sir, but I'm sure Dog company won't be too far once we find Easy." You were walking ahead as speirs and Winters lagged behind. Speirs eyed the back of your head.
"Lieutenant Winters, what's the deal with sargeant (L/n)?"

"The deal?" Winters asked.

"She's a woman...you and I both know woman aren't built for combat. Aren't you afraid she'll be a burden?"

"Honestly Ron that was a worry of mine at first. But she has become one of the finest soldiers in the company. She's reliable and strong. I think it'll do us alot of good having her by our side in combat. She's become a true leader." Winters said confidently.

You could hear the conversation faintly. Winters knew that and it made you smile. To have a brave leader such as himself refer to you as a leader was the greatest compliment you'd ever received. You were blessed to be in his unit.

"Huh..." speirs said reconsidering his remarks. He looked at you differently now as he watched you navigate. Was this the start of something? Or was Speirs merely encapsulated at the thought of you being the only woman in the Airborne. Either way, Speirs had an eye out for you.