VIII

VIII
February 28th 1978

"Hey, Barty, give it back!"

"You have read all day. It's time to go do something," Barty says.

"Rends le!" I shouted.

"Fine, fine. I know you're serious when you pull out the French." Barty says exasperatedly. Barty throws the book my way and I catch it.

"Finally," I mumbled. I walked away towards the courtyard to get some peace there.

"Hey, Reg," James says, running up to me.

"Hello," I said. I'm still walking towards the courtyard. I'm a man on a mission. What can I say?

"Wait just a second. I want to talk to you," James says.
"Fine." I huffed and then crossed my arms.

"Private," James added.

"Well, lead the way then," I said. James gladly grabbed my hand and tugged me towards the nearest broom cupboard.

"Uh." James starts.

"Spit it out.." I said impatiently.

"I have something important to say, but it's hard to say," James explained.

"I can't help then." I replied.

James looked at me for a second before leaning forward and pressing his lips on mine. I slightly hesitated before kissing back. It felt like magic, like a spark lighting a firework. Then something in my mind clicked, and I shoved James back.

"What was that for?" I screeched.

"I think you know," James whispered.

I looked at James, a bit confused, then I opened the broom closet door and ran out into the corridor and kept running. I ran out to the field outside the castle, where I fully bumped into someone and fell over.

"Sorry," I said dizzily.

"It's fine." The familiar voice said 'Remus'.

"Shit, that hurt," I said suddenly.

"I take it James told you," Remus says.

"How did you know?" I asked.

"Everyone comes to me for advice. I would also make it very clear I told him not to do it like that because I knew you would freak out like this," Remus explained.

"Oh," I said.

"It's fine to not feel the same way, so stop looking like that. James will just have to accept the rejection," Remus said.
"It's not that," I replied.

"Then what?" Remus asked.

"I don't know how I feel," I replied.

"Well, do you like men?" Remus asked.

"Yes," I said.

"But you don't feel attracted to James?" Remus asked.
"No, I do, and the kiss was wonderful, but I have never felt like this before. How do I know I'm doing it right?" I asked.

"Maybe you should try explaining that to James," Remus said.

"Maybe," I replied.

"Go on, go find him," Remus said.

"I'm going, I'm going," I said. I broke out into a run as fast as I could. I didn't know where James was, but I think I knew where he was.

I ran down the corridor towards the courtyard to look for James. I ran out into the cold again to see James sitting on the side of a pillar. I stop in front of James and then take a deep breath.

"I'm sorry," I said, a bit out of breath.

"Breathe first," James says. I took another few breaths before I spoke again.

"I'm sorry," I repeated.

"Sorry about what?" James asked.

"About how I reacted to the kiss," I replied.

"I get it you don't like me, it's fine-" James started, but I cut him off with another kiss. I pulled away once more.

"I shouldn't have run away. I do like you and I reacted poorly because I was-am scared," I explained.

"Oh," James said. "So you do like me?" James asked.

"I do," I replied.

"Does that mean you would accept a date with me?" James asked.

"Are you asking?" I asked.

"Yes, I am," James replied.

"Then I would say yes," I said.

"Good, how about next weekend on Sunday at nine?" James asked.

"Sure," I said.

"Can I kiss you again?" James asked shyly.

"You may," I replied.

James pressed his lips to mine once more, and I didn't react poorly this time. I relived the kiss like it was my lifeline. James this time was the first one to pull away and look at me.

"You are lovely Regulus Black," James announced.

"I know James Potter," I replied.

"No, you truly are," James replied.

"Do you think I don't know?" I asked.

"I truly think you don't," James says.

"Je ne," I replied.

"Your French will be the death of me," James says.

"Je sais," I replied.

"The utter death of me," James says.

~
-Remus Pov-

"Where is James?" Sirius asked when I walked into the dorm.

"Trying to get a date," I replied.

"A date? Is it Lily again?" Sirius asked.

"Nope," I said.

"Who then?" Sirius asked.

"I can't say that is for James to tell you," I replied.

"Then he will never tell me, especially after all the teasing with Lily," Sirius whined.

"He might just be patient," I replied.

"I'm hardly patient," Sirius said.

"I know, but let James have this for now," I said.

"You're right," Sirius said with a frown.

"You have me to stop being a baby about this," I replied.

"I'm not a baby," Sirius whispered. I looked at him with a knowing look.

"Maybe I am," Sirius whispered even quieter.