Chapter 4

The doctors were flown back to Seattle that same night, all sedated, as they had requested. Arizona eventually gave in too, because her wife had told her she would probably lose her leg if she stayed at that hospital, and she wanted to avoid that at all costs.

Not long after they had arrived and each been brought to a room, they started waking up. Cristina and Meredith first, the others a little bit later. Since their bodies were fighting to heal simultaneously, it took a little longer.

Mark didn't want to stay for the night, at least not in his own hospital bed, but Bailey and Webber convinced him to, as well as Meredith and Cristina, who both insisted that they were fine.

None of the six were alone; their friends and family took care of them.

Owen stayed with Cristina. Even with everything they were going through, he still loved her, and tonight, it was as simple as that. He cleaned her up and got her as comfortable as she could get in the hospital room. She hadn't talked to him about what happened in the woods, and he didn't want to ask her.

Meredith was accompanied by Alex, who had decided to stay for a while longer rather than going to Hopkins as he had planned. She didn't understand why she had to stay in her own room when she could be with Derek instead. She only had a light concussion and a cut in her leg that had already been stitched up at the other hospital. And the waiting was killing her. She needed to be there for her husband and her sister, or at least talk with Cristina about what happened to them.

Arizona, of course, had Callie. She was so worried about her leg that she made her wife promise to save it at all costs and not cut it off, no matter what happened. But the infection was only getting worse, and the Latina didn't know how long she would be able to keep that promise. In fact, deep down Callie already knew that she had to amputate the leg if she wanted her to survive this. In the woods, first Cristina and later Meredith had tried to do as much as they could to keep bugs away from Arizona's rotting flesh, but at some point it was almost impossible to keep the wound clean. There was not much they could do now, the damage had already been done.

Amelia Shepard took a flight from LA to Seattle as soon as she heard about the plane crash. She had a lot going on herself, but when she heard that her brother almost died, she dropped everything and got on the next plane. Not that she wasn't enjoying a little break from her life as well. She sat with her brother and tried to talk some hope into him, even though his hand looked very bad and it was not like he would be operating again any time soon. Callie had talked to them about something she wanted to try to repair the nerve damage, but there was no guarantee that it would get him his full function back.

Mark was being watched by Jackson, who was told not to let him out of his sight for one second. So he couldn't sneak out to Lexie's room. It was like he had already forgotten about his cardiac tamponade, all he cared about was her and the need to be with her was his only concern. While Jackson was honestly just relieved that he was still alive, even though his mentor was being so reckless with his health.

And Lexie was left with April, who had been talking nonstop since the minute she walked into the room. She wondered if she hadn't suffered enough already, but apparently God felt the need to torture her even more. She begged that her pain would make her pass out, just so she wouldn't have to listen to her babble about some issues she was having with Jesus anymore.

"April!" she called when she couldn't take it anymore.

"What?" the redhead turned to face her, a little taken aback by her tone. One reason why she volunteered to watch Lexie was because she desperately needed to talk to a friend about what had happened with Jackson. And she considered them friends, even if they had their issues sometimes.