Chapter 2

They quickly gathered a few things for a fire and lit it when the night had already arrived, quicker than they had expected. Meredith then went back to Derek, Arizona, and the pilot because she knew Lexie had both Cristina and Mark to protect her.

"Wait. Are there any more coats or blankets on the plane?" Mark asked.

The blonde thought about it for a second, then nodded and removed the one she was wearing to give it to him. "I'll get a new one." With that, she went off.

Mark carefully placed the coat on top of Lexie before sitting back down next to her, and put her hand back into his.

"You should get some sleep." Cristina advised him, cranky.

"I've gone longer without sleep. And I'm not gonna leave her to the wolves." he replied in a determined tone.

The female doctor had figured out by now that she had no chance fighting him on those things. He'd rather die himself than let her die.

"Whatever, I am going to sleep now because I'm exhausted." she announced, and not long after, she had drifted off to sleep.

Mark didn't close one eye for the whole night. He was too scared to wake up to discover Lexie was dead, either eaten by the wolves or because she had any trouble with her injuries and no one was awake to help her. It was too risky.

A couple of hours later, Cristina was awakened by a loud propeller sound and a bright light shining directly into her eyes. She had to locate herself, but she quickly remembered what had happened and where they were. "Oh my god." she said, looking over to her two friends next to her. Lexie's condition hadn't changed much, but Mark looked much worse than when she went to sleep. He looked exhausted, like someone just ran him over with a truck.

"Mark!" she shouted, and he finally realized what was going on.

"Finally." he smiled.

"Hey! Hey! Here!" they both screamed as they waved their arms frantically.

Then one of the helicopters landed close to them. "We tracked the last coordinates we had from the plane and flew over the area to find you. What's your status?" the man, coming out of the helicopter, explained.

"Uh, we're all alive, but Lexie over there is in a critical state. She was crushed by the wing of the plane and needs to get medical attention fast. We did everything we could out here, but she needs surgery. Mark is... I'm pretty sure he's got some internal bleeding because he's not doing great; he's just running on adrenaline for now. I've got a dislocated shoulder. He popped it back in, but someone needs to take a proper look at it. There are three other surgeons and the pilot over there with the rest of the plane wreck." Cristina gave him a full report.

"Alright, we're going to get you all out of here. Don't worry." he told her reassuringly. "We need a stretcher over here!" he yelled back to his colleagues, who soon appeared with one. They wanted to put Lexie on it, but Mark wouldn't let go of her hand.

"Mark, they're going to help her." Cristina snapped at him. He hesitantly let go for now, and a few men put her on the stretcher and carried her to the helicopter. Cristina and Mark were instructed to sit down with her in the back, so he took her hand again.