II

The next day rolled around and to my dismay Beyoncé hadn't responded back. It was highly unusual for her to miss a day of work which concerned me. But then again it wasn't my place to question her on her whereabouts.

I absentmindedly listened to the news as I got ready this morning, having extra time to kill this morning. I sat at my dining room table, sipping my coffee as the news played and I looked over my notes for my case this afternoon.

"Breaking news coming from Houston, Texas. A shooting broke happened last night at the popular Frenchy's restaurant leaving six dead and three critically injured. The shooters have not been apprehended and the names of the deceased have yet to be released." The news anchor said making me look up at the tv.

There was an arial shot of the restaurant. It was covered in yellow tape and swarmed with police cars and ambulances. I wanted to tear my eyes away so bad but I couldn't. I watched as EMT's rolled several stretchers out, some bodies covered in white sheets and others hooked up to various machines as they rushed them to the ambulance.

There were also two young girls, walking out holding each other as they wept. One looked oddly familiar but I shook it off and went back to my notes before my alarm blared letting me know it was time to leave.

I walked outside expecting to see Beyoncé but was greeted by Bryson instead. Two days in a row was odd, but I pushed it to the back of my mind thinking she may have gotten sick.

I got in the car with the assistance of Bryson and we headed to my firm in a comfortable silence which was new to me. For the past two years my car rides have been everything but silent, I just focused on my work until we pulled up to the firm where he helped me out of the car and waited for me to get into the building before leaving.

My work day seemed to fly past me quickly, I won my case and it seemed like everything just hit the ground running after that. By the time I made it home I still hadn't heard from Beyoncé and it worried me slightly but I didn't let it affect my work flow.

I was at home, lounging on the couch as the news played. The Houston story popped back up drawing my attention immediately.

"A follow up from the story developing in Houston. Two victims have been identified as Celestine and Matthew Knowles. Both are well known in the Third Ward area for their businesses and activism within the community. There is a candlelight vigil being held tonight in front of Celestine's hair salon for them both." The news reporter said making me freeze.

My mind instantly wondered if those were Beyoncé's relatives or just someone with the same last name. If they were it would explain her absence and why the young girl leaving looked familiar to me earlier. I sighed and closed my eyes, saying a quick prayer for the family as the story changed.

My thoughts were broken by the sound of my phone chiming. I glanced at it seeing a text from Beyoncé, quickly grabbing my phone I unlocked it and read her message.

B. Knowles: My apologies. I'll return soon.

My heart dropped as I tried to figure out how to respond.

: Hope all is well. Let me know when you plan to return.

I eyes my phone waiting for a response but all she did was like my message. I sighed and set my phone down, turning the channel on the tv to a random reality show. It didn't even have my full attention, I was worried about Beyoncé. For the first time in two years I felt something other than annoyance towards her, and it had to be under these circumstances.

I prayed that my assumptions were wrong and she just had something else going on. Maybe she was sick, or broke a bone or something but I prayed she hadn't lost her parents within the blink of an eye. She constantly talked about her family, her mom specifically. She loved her dad of course, but I know she held a much deeper connection and relationship with her mom.

I prayed so hard that night, more than have in years for her peace and sanity and that she would return soon.