44. Meeting of the Minds

Beatrix stirred a thick meat and vegetable stew on the stovetop, something the other lunch ladies called "ghoulash."

It was halfway through lunch and Beatrix had been told to make an extra batch. It was one of the most popular creepateria dishes and sold out every time.

"Did Grey show up at your dorm once you got back to your body?" Jackson whispered, crouched down beside Autumn on the kitchen floor.

Jackson and Autumn had hidden behind the fridges for an emergency meeting in the back of the creepateria. While the other lunch ladies were busy with the lunch line, Beatrix had briefed Jackson on yesterday's events, as well as Spectra's involvement in her witchcraft antics over the past year.

"No, Grey didn't show up. He tried to, though," Autumn answered for Beatrix as quietly as she could, trying to avoid detection from any creepateria staff. "He blew up my phone a million times. He wanted to check on Bea, but I told him she needed to be alone because she was dizzy—which she kind of was, so that wasn't exactly a lie."

Beatrix was still a bit shaken by the ordeal—astral projecting, Grey chasing her down, Spectra's attempted possession.

She felt more at ease with Autumn and Jackson nearby. Now that they were filled in, at least she had friends on her side. Especially since trusting Spectra was no longer an option.

With others around, she doubted Spectra would dare show her face again; the ghost only appeared when Beatrix was alone.

However, Grey was a different story.

"Grey must be wondering about your out-of-body experience and why you were spying on him," Jackson said. "Did he ask you about it?"

"No, but only because I'm avoiding him. I didn't walk Autumn to her classes today so he couldn't corner me in the halls. I've been hiding out in the creepateria all morning. It actually gave me time to get a few things done..." Beatrix glanced at a plastic cup she'd put off to the side on a counter. It held a shot of clear liquid.

"How were you able to get out of your body, anyway?" Jackson inquired.

"Breathing," Beatrix said simply.

"Bea has a natural talent for magic. She comes from a long line of witches," Autumn explained. "That kind of stuff is easy for her if she puts her mind to it."

"And if I know what to do," Beatrix added, recalling her frustration whenever her aunts kept her in the dark about witchcraft.

Jackson pulled out a pencil and notebook from his satchel, turning to a fresh page. "What was it like being a ghost?"

"Insane," Beatrix said. "Exhilarating, yet empty. It's hard to describe. All I know is that I don't want to do it again."

"I still can't believe Spectra tried to possess her," Autumn whispered.

"But why would Spectra do that?" Jackson asked, taking notes as he spoke.

"I think she's jealous of my physical body," Beatrix said. Last semester, Greta the lunch lady had told her that some spirits chose a companion to vicariously live through.

Spectra must miss the physical aspects of life... you bring her comfort... Greta had said.

"Shouldn't we report her to the headmistress?" Autumn suggested.

"We don't want to be on Bloodgood's radar right now," Beatrix said. "I'll deal with Spectra soon, but I have to figure some stuff out about Grey first."

The three of them suddenly heard shuffling feet, and Jackson and Autumn shrunk back to avoid being seen by the approaching lunch lady.

Greta, the elderly goblin woman who had been on Beatrix's mind, made her way over.