2. The Acceptance Letter

No matter how hard Beatrix scrubbed, the floorboards stayed black.

Apparently, a pyrokinesis potion had never gone so awry until today, so as punishment, Beatrix's aunts were making her clean everything by hand instead of casting a renewal spell.

Desperate for a break, Beatrix cracked open the door. The only sound around was a crow squawking in the distance.

Coast's clear.

Beatrix stepped outside and watched the sun dip below the corn field. Although the air was dead still, Beatrix approached the wall of corn and tiptoed in, unable to see more than a few inches ahead of her.

She soon was surrounded by a sea of corn on all sides.

Beatrix held her breath and listened. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw a cornstalk rustle.

Beatrix leapt forward and grasped onto someone's arm.

"Aha!" Beatrix exclaimed. "Gotcha, strawhead."

"How do you always know it's me?" Autumn whined.

"What other scarecrow is brave enough to get so close to my aunts' house?" Beatrix asked.

Autumn wiggled her straw-filled arm out of Beatrix's grip.

Autumn was one of the many scarecrows Aunt Clarice had made to work on the farm. Her appearance was similar to a fifteen-year-old human's—aside from the stitches on her body, her button eyes, and her burlap skin.

Where Beatrix had black hair and dark eyes, Autumn's straw hair was divided into two braids and her eyes were a vivacious green.

Beatrix fondly remembered racing Autumn across the farmlands when they were kids, making flower crowns together during springtime, and relaxing around the scarecrow village when Autumn had the day off work.

The scarecrow village was on the far side of the property, where Autumn's friends and family all lived.

Beatrix noticed a tear near Autumn's collarbone, a result of pulling on her arm earlier. Straw protruded from the injury.

Beatrix pulled out the needle and thread she always kept on her and stitched Autumn up out of habit. She'd become adept at repairing her friend over the years.

Autumn didn't flinch as the needle pierced her canvas skin.

"I saw an explosion. What happened?" Autumn asked.

"I ruined a potion after getting distracted by some birds."

"Birds? Where?" Autumn searched the sky. She tried retreating but Beatrix held her in place.

"A scarecrow afraid of crows. Aunt Clarice would be so proud," Beatrix teased.

"You swore you wouldn't tell," Autumn said.

If Aunt Clarice discovered Autumn's phobia of birds, she would dispose of Autumn and replace her with a new farm worker.

"My lips are sealed. Witch's honor," Beatrix said.

Autumn relaxed, however, she twiddled her thumbs like she was contemplating something. Finally, Autumn handed over an already-opened envelope.

A mischievous grin spread across Beatrix's face. Autumn had many secret admirers in the scarecrow village, and Beatrix bet one of them had sent a love letter. "Is it from Sawyer? Forrest? It better not be from Oakley! His poetry is so sappy."

Autumn went red. "Oakley hasn't written me a poem since we were ten! Look inside."

Beatrix read the letter aloud. "Autumn Matilda Patches... send your response by July 28th... regarding your acceptance to..." She skimmed the rest. "You applied to Monster High?"

"No. I applied to New Salem Preparatory Academy," Autumn said.

"Same thing, strawhead! 'Monster High' is a nickname."

"Oh."

Beatrix had eavesdropped at enough witch gatherings to know that anyone with even a drop of supernatural blood dreamed of attending Monster High.

"You know how competitive this school is, right?" Beatrix asked.

"Ya. I was going to apply last year, but I got too nervous," Autumn said.

The fact that this had been a secret made Beatrix feel odd. She was usually Autumn's confidant.

"Why'd you apply?" Beatrix asked.

Autumn fiddled with the seam on her wrist. "Granny Magpie's worried about me. She thinks I'm afraid of living."

"What does that mean?"

"That I'm pathetic," Autumn said. "I'm a scarecrow who's scared of crows, for corn's sake!"

"What? Aside from the bird thing, you're the bravest scarecrow I know."

"I'm not brave," Autumn said. "The bravest thing I do is lead knitting circle. I've never even left the farm. That's why I have to go to New Salem Prep—I mean, Monster High. I'll get an education to help the farm! We need new irrigation methods, and I can learn about business too!"

This meant Beatrix would be left behind. One night, her aunts had grumbled about how Monster High didn't accept witches.

That institution is an insult to magic-folk! Aunt Constance had railed.

Aunt Cordelia had a theory the rule existed because witches were too similar to humans. The only thing that differentiates us from humans is our connection to devils. Anyone can join our ranks, if they're willing, she'd said.

I'd like to see any human try! Aunt Constance had countered. Not just any person can take a blood oath and serve our overlords faithfully.

Aunt Constance had a point. While witches signed their souls away at sixteen for advanced abilities, many could use some magic before then. Witches who came from bloodlines of sorcerers had a greater predisposition for magic-use. Devils looked favorably upon entire families who'd served them, so the more witches one hailed from, the easier it was to engage in witchcraft from a young age.

Which made it frustrating that Beatrix wasn't allowed to do anything until her birthday. Her family was overrun with witches.

Beatrix had also grown confused about Monster High's rule. If most witches are more than mere humans, why aren't we monster enough to attend Monster High?

"Bea?" Autumn snapped Beatrix out of her thoughts.

Beatrix put on a smile and hugged Autumn tightly. "I'm gonna miss you."

Autumn pulled back. "About that... you're coming with me."

Beatrix was ready to explain why that was impossible.

However, there was a blazing determination on her friend's face that Beatrix had never seen before. The scarecrow wasn't taking no for an answer.