32. Coming in Hot

Beatrix and Autumn sat before Bloodgood's desk, in the same seats they'd occupied during their first meeting at the beginning of the year.

Beatrix snuck glances at Cassia. Her devil entourage stood behind her in black military uniforms.

Beatrix mulled over Cassia's proposition in the screamatorium: To ensure the headmistress's efforts to unify witches and monsters aren't in vain, my son will watch over Beatrix.

You can't be serious, Dracula had scoffed. Why does a witch on campus interest you?

Bullied witches tug at my heartstrings. Is that not reason enough, Vlad? Cassia drew out Dracula's Christian name mockingly.

Embarrassed, Dracula shrunk in stature.

Cassia addressed Bloodgood, Beatrix deserves to stay here. However, more vampires may pursue her, which is why my son should stand guard. He can clear her name and identify the culprit of these murders. He graduated top of his class in tactical combat.

Preposterous! Bram's mom had shrieked. The witch can't stay—

Expel the vampire boys while you're at it. Their behavior is inexcusable, Cassia said.

It had been satisfying to hear someone stick it to Bram and Vilhelm.

I know this plan may sound unfair considering Beatrix's magic transgressions, Cassia continued. But I promise my son will put an end to it. With his help, we'll get Monster High back to normal in no time.

Following Cassia's proposition, the school board members decided to officially expel Bram and Vilhelm. The decision to let Beatrix stay was undeniably influenced by the duchess.

However, when it came to Cassia's son, Bloodgood had ushered the devils, Beatrix, and Autumn to her office for privacy.

Now, Bloodgood rubbed her temples, stressed.

"My plan is foolproof," Cassia said.

"Your son wants to join our security staff?" Bloodgood asked.

"Actually, my son would be better suited as a student here."

"Why?" Beatrix questioned.

Cassia turned, thrilled to engage with her. "Military academies can get monotonous when you dominate every opponent. I want him to receive a well-rounded education and learn about modern monster culture. After all, there's been significant changes in the past century. This arrangement would be mutually beneficial.

"But there's one essential condition. Devils can't interact with the physical world, although we appear to."

"Ya... like an optical illusion," Beatrix said cautiously.

"Yes," Cassia affirmed, gently as if talking to a child. "For my son to assist you and the Monster High faculty, we must bind him to you."

"I knew it!" Beatrix exclaimed. "Did my aunts send you? Did they tell you I'd enter a contract? Because they're wrong."

Cassia's smile faltered, but she reapplied her grin before anyone else noticed.

"I understand your reservations." She sounded amused. "I simply want to help you get on the proper path."

"If the proper path is serving your brat son, then hard pass."

Beatrix knew better than to trust her. Devils and deception were synonymous.

"How about this?" Cassia said. "Enter into a temporary arrangement with him, a free trial to experience having a devil familiar. That way, he can protect you and attend Monster High. He needs to be able to physically pick up his textbooks, after all."

Beatrix hesitated. "Free trial?"

"Free trial."

"No strings attached? No permanent contract at the end of it?"

Cassia shook her head. "No blood oath required. Only your verbal consent."

Beatrix couldn't believe she was considering this. She'd been avoiding a devil contract her entire life.

Yet, a test trial was enticing.

Beatrix knew that if she didn't make a blood oath, she couldn't be forcibly bound to Cassia's son. A permanent contract had to be completely her choice.

If she had a familiar, Beatrix and her friends wouldn't have to deal with vampires anymore.

Beatrix sighed. "How long is the test trial?"

"A semester."

"Eighteen weeks?" Bloodgood interjected.

"Enough time to solve this murder mystery once and for all," Cassia said.

Bloodgood started, "I suppose—"

"Glad that's settled. Arrange a private dorm for him, headmistress. He needs ample room for his belongings."

"I'll put him in the West dormitory. His name?"

"Astar," a devil behind Cassia said. Beatrix whipped her head to the devil who'd spoken. His black uniform was adorned with military pins. He had a sharp jawline, stocky build, and broad chest. He was as noble-looking as his mother.

Astar gave Beatrix a smirk. "Happy to be of service."

Cassia leaned forward. "Repeat after me: I, Beatrix Felicity Ravenwood, agree to be bound for eighteen weeks to Astar Phlegyas Devilman, the marquess of the fifth circle of hell, the ruler of the wrathful—"

"Too many words. Can't we just shake on it and get this over with?" Beatrix huffed.

"A handshake works."

Beatrix held out her arm and Astar stepped forward. His red hand sported dragon-like talons.

Beatrix expected her hand to pass through his, similar to Spectra's ghostly limbs. However, a palm soon materialized in hers. Astar's hand became solid, firmly gripping her.

The deal was sealed. His form was real.

"You're under the protection of the fifth circle," Cassia declared. "I'm excited for you and Astar to get acquainted."

Cassia acted like Astar had solved world hunger. Except, of course, a devil never would. Helping humanity wouldn't be any fun for them.

Looking pleased, Cassia spoke to the headmistress in a hushed voice.

As the adults conversed, Beatrix's stomach rumbled.

"Here, Bea," Autumn said, pulling out tupperware filled with pumpkin bread from her satchel.

As she passed the bread to Beatrix, Astar snatched it. He took a massive bite, crumbs falling on the carpet.

His eyes widened. "Hot damn!"

Autumn, taken aback, timidly smiled and said, "Glad you like it..."

Must be the first time he's taken a bite of real food.

"You're 'Bee'? Like the bug?" Astar asked, devouring the remaining bread.

"Like a bumblebee!" Autumn said, attempting to ease the awkwardness of Astar swiping Beatrix's snack. "You think she'll sting you, but she's actually a cuddle bug!"

"Autumn!" Beatrix said through gritted teeth.

Astar wiped his mouth. "Let's get along, Bee."

Beatrix had a feeling they wouldn't. Not even a little.