19. The Bonfire

Beatrix loved the night: hooting owls and chirping crickets, cold air making her breath visible, wind whistling through the surrounding forest.

The darkness held a power she couldn't name.

Beatrix and Autumn walked near the school garden, where Frankie, Clawdeen, and Draculaura waited, bundled up for the cold. The moon overhead made the plants in the garden glow eerily.

Frankie bounced in anticipation. "Autumn! Over here!"

As they moved past the garden, Autumn chatted with the others about that day's fearleading practice, how hard Biteology was, and how Jackson Jekyll had an obvious crush on Frankie.

Frankie's green cheeks went pink. "We're just friends!"

"Real convincing," Clawdeen teased.

"Speaking of, what happened with Holt?" Draculaura asked.

Beatrix couldn't tell how much Draculaura knew about the incident, so she played it safe. "Holt ran off during our MSS field trip and we found him in a human nightclub a few blocks over."

"I'd go crazy if Holt was my other half. I feel for Jackson," Clawdeen said, her yellow eyes gleaming in the moonlight.

"I think Holt's fun! I like him," Frankie said.

"Trust me, we know," Clawdeen teased again.

While the others were distracted, Draculaura saddled up next to Beatrix. "How are you?"

For a moment, Beatrix's confidence wavered. Being so close to another vampire, vegetarian or not, was unnerving.

"I'm good," Beatrix said unconvincingly.

"Don't be scared around me," Draculaura said. "Vampires like Bram and Vilhelm make me despair at my entire race."

Immediately Beatrix knew that Guillermo had told Draculaura about the vampire attack. It wasn't surprising, considering his loyalty to her.

Beatrix hoped Guillermo hadn't told Draculaura everything. The more monsters who knew she'd practiced witchcraft that night, the harder it would be to convince Headmistress Bloodgood to let her stay.

"I'm not scared. You're not like them," Beatrix said.

"I had a feeling Bram and Vilhelm were sneaking around. To kill so openly is deplorable. That's why I renounced human murder centuries ago," Draculaura said.

Beatrix shivered. That means she killed humans at one point.

However, Beatrix knew she was being too sensitive. Monsterkind wasn't known for being altruistic.

While monsters were more peaceful than ever before to avoid detection from an ever-increasing human population, they were still feared for a reason.

Draculaura's pink eyes flashed to her. Beatrix crossed her fingers, hoping the vampire wouldn't ask about anything related to spellcasting.

Instead, Draculaura said, "If any vampires give you trouble, I'll handle it."

"Do the vamps have a problem with me? It wasn't my fault that Bram and Vilhelm got caught," Beatrix asked.

Draculaura bit her lip. "Us vampires have had disagreements over what transpired. Some believe the vampire attack was exaggerated."

"They think I'm lying?"

"You were in an intense situation in a human city. Some think that could've distorted your view of what happened, that the stress got to you."

Beatrix blinked. "I know what I saw."

"I know what Bram and Vilhelm are capable of. They think they're untouchable because their families are on the vampiric council. However, not all of my vampire peers see eye to eye on the issue," Draculaura said. "As long as you stay in your dorm at night and don't wander around on your own, you'll be fine!"

Otherwise, I'll get attacked? Beatrix thought.

"Don't worry, we'll protect you," Draculaura said, gesturing to Clawdeen, Frankie, and Autumn.

Despite Draculaura's stature and youthful appearance, the vampire acted like an older sister.

Makes sense. She's, what, a thousand years older than me?

Beatrix gave a feeble smile, touched by Draculaura's kindness, but knew it wouldn't be enough.

The only person she trusted to keep her safe was...

Beatrix shook away the thought. Whenever Grey flashed into her mind, Beatrix cringed. She'd told Grey he could trust her, that she wouldn't cast any spells or wreak havoc on the school.

How quickly she'd disregarded her promises.

When they reached the bonfire behind the West dorms, Beatrix recognized Clawd, who was playing cornhole with his pack. Although Orion often declared that Clawd was his rival, the rivalry seemed one-sided.

Beatrix didn't recognize anyone else who'd gathered around the fire.

Except one.

She saw Grey sitting next to a gorgon boy with snakes for hair.

"You ghouls are late!" Cleo chided. "And you brought her."

"Thanks for letting Bea come, Cleo!" Autumn said, nudging Beatrix to make nice.

Beatrix smiled. At this point, she'd learned to ignore the mummy's antics.

Cleo didn't look pleased, but someone called her name and she soon forgot about Beatrix.

Draculaura and Clawdeen split off from the group to say hi to Clawd, and Beatrix noticed some vampires muttering amongst themselves at her arrival.

Beatrix tried her hardest to look unaffected and let Frankie and Autumn lead the way.

The only open spots around the fire were next to Grey and the gorgon. Beatrix sat as far from Grey as possible.

Autumn was in the middle of telling Frankie about how the scarecrows celebrated All Hallows Eve back on the farm.

"We make our own costumes, carve jack-o'-lanterns, and bob for apples!" Autumn reminisced cheerfully.

Frankie listened in awe. "Amazing! Last year, the ghouls took me to see a horror movie in New Salem! Too bad we can't leave campus this year and do it again."

"I've never seen a horror movie," Autumn confessed. "But I've heard scary stories before! My Grandpa Harry's stories used to give me nightmares for weeks."

"What's the scariest story you've heard?" the gorgon boy asked, leaning forward to be included.

"Ask Bea! She's great at telling spooky stories," Autumn said.

Beatrix felt Grey's eyes on her, but she avoided meeting his gaze. She started, "I remember one story about a town being overrun by birds—"

"Not that one! Anything but birds!" Autumn yelped.

Beatrix threw up her hands. "Alright, no birds. Let me think of another..."

"I have one," the gorgon grinned, his forked tongue flashing. "It's a true story, and it happened on the very grounds we're sitting on."