Chapter 12 - The Best Condition (2)

“…Yes?”

“Have you been hiding your skills all this time?”

“No, sir.”

“But then, what is it?”

Marhan looked at Carlyn with a gaze that sought an answer.

Just a day ago, Carlyn fell short of his expectations.

Diligent, clever, and talented, but there was something off about the child.

Even though Carlyn seemed to be making an effort, he only utilized about half of his talent, strangely.

That was Marhan’s usual perception of Carlyn.

But today was different.

“Today, you’re not just different from your usual self. You’re completely like a different person.”

“Ah…”

Marhan studied Carlyn’s eyes. It was a perceptive gaze that knew the reason for the change.

On the other hand, Carlyn didn’t think much of it. Worst Condition. It wasn’t a problem worth hiding.

“Well, usually, my body feels heavy all the time. But today, it feels incredibly light.”

Marhan furrowed his brow. It meant that the explanation was insufficient.

“Well, let’s see. Normally, I can only use about half of my strength, but on days like today when my body feels good, I feel like I’ve become twice as strong.”

“You feel it?”

“I become stronger. There have been times when I could do things I couldn’t do before.”

“Is it because you couldn’t sleep well on normal days?”

So, he knew that too.

Carlyn was aware that he was being observed, but hearing it directly made him slightly uneasy.

“It’s not necessarily true. It has been like this since before.”

“Since before? Why didn’t you say anything?”

“What?”

“Didn’t Lena ask if there was a place that hurts?”

Carlyn recalled the memory. When he first arrived here, Lena had asked that question after seeing his tired state.

He answered that there was no specific place that hurt.

“Well, there wasn’t any specific place that hurt, so…?”

Carlyn reiterated his words.

“Hmm. I just thought that sometimes my body feels good. I never thought of it as being sick.”

Marhan stared at Carlyn for a while. He didn’t seem to be lying.

The possibility of a serious illness had already been suggested by Lena. Marhan had somewhat agreed with that idea.