Chapter 8

"Sasuke-sama! Sasuke-sama, you've returned," gasped an old woman, clapping her hands together like a prayer before dropping them to properly bow. When she noticed Sasuke's companion, she stared.

"Hello Tomoko-san," Sasuke greeted her without apparent regard to her relief. "This is Miyo. She is to be my wife, please take care of her." The introduction was also without emotion. He only paused to remove his sandals before continuing into the house.

Naruto/Miyo thought this Tomoko must be the nursemaid who chased after Sasuke years ago. She gave the bewildered woman a radiant and kind smile. "Nice to meet you, Tomoko-san," Naruto/Miyo bowed.

"Oh," Tomoko uttered and then practically folded in half, "Miyo-sama, please forgive me. I will prepare quarters for you immediately."

"Thank you, Tomoko-san," Naruto/Miyo finally stepped out of her sandals and up onto the worn floorboards. "But, first, please tell me. Are you the only one here?"

"Ah," Tomoko looked awkward, "Yes, my lady. Please forgive the state of things. I do my best."

"I was not questioning because I find any fault," Naruto/Miyo assured her with a smile. Though, the once impression estate certainly bore signs of neglect. "I am asking after the household I manage. Even if I do not yet have the honor of calling myself Sasuke's wife."

"Ah, yes, my lady," Tomoko bowed slightly.

"May I come with you, then?" Naruto/Miyo asked pleasantly, "Or will it be distracting to talk while you work?"

"Ah, of course not, Miyo-sama. Please follow me if that is your wish." Tomoko bowed slightly again and then turned to head along the outdoor corridor.

"How long has it been since Sasuke was home?" Naruto/Miyo asked.

"Three years."

"So long," Naruto/Miyo breathed.

"Yes, I truly feared..." Tomoko stopped herself, "Forgive me, I speak out of turn."

"Please speak," Naruto/Miyo smiled, "Even if you are a servant, you are family. You and I will become very close, I think, looking after Sasuke and this house together."

"Oh, no, Miyo-sama. Please do not trouble yourself with anything, I will serve you both."

Naruto/Miyo laughed lightly, "Forgive me, I do not mean to insult you, but you are aging, this is a large house, and I do not think Sasuke will hire more staff. I am happy to help. Though, I am inexperienced with household tasks. I hope you will consent to teach me." She smiled and put her hands together.

"Ah, Miyo-sama," Tomoko seemed off put, "If... If you insist."

***

"Ah, Miyo-sama. I think cooking is not for you," Tomoko blinked at the charred fish, soggy rice, and wilting vegetables. Not to mention the state of the kitchen itself.

Naruto/Miyo bit the inside of her lip with an awkward expression, "It's not so bad, is it? I can fix it!"

"No, no, please. Allow me."

"Just show me how, I'll get it," Naruto/Miyo insisted, picking up the pot of rice, "This just needs to be strained, doesn't it?" Of course, as she got up from kneeling, she tripped over the bottom of her yukata and splashed everywhere, upsetting the other dishes on the floor, too. Smoke billowed up from the fire pit, the smell of burning rice instantly filling the kitchen building.

"Miyo-sama!"

"Ah, sorry," Naruto/Miyo uttered. "I'll clean that up, sorry."

"Please just leave it to me."